Very Pale Comb

• 6 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Very Pale Comb
« on: August 13, 2009, 18:33 »
Hi Everyone.  Our Molly was broody for six weeks before we gave her some fertile eggs to hatch out.  She successfuly hatched them out five days ago.  Her comb is almost white.  I've put poultry spice in her food and apple vinegar in her water.  She doesn't act like she is itchy and very seldom preens.  Do you think she might have bugs just the same?  Or is it normal for hens that are raising young chicks to have pale combs?  Any help I would really appreciated!  Thanks!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

themagicaltoad1

Re: Very Pale Comb
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 20:30 »
Hens that are brooding are sitting targets for red mite, you won't see them on the chicken as they come out at night, suck their blood then hide away in the cracks and crevices. Sounds like she could be anaemic and this could be the cause, can you fix up somewhere else for her and the chicks to stay for a few days while you attack the coop?

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 20:57 »
I agree with Magical Toad. If she's very pale, it is imperative that you get them out and give her some tlc.

Rob

Have a read of this http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 21:09 »
How long has she been broody for?
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 22:19 »
Their combs do go paler, but not that much, I would say red mite, you need to treat it very quickly as red mite can kill chicks very quickly.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 08:13 »
Thanks everyone!  I am Frontlining Molly today and taking out the cardboard box that she and her chicks are nesting in.  I have a plastic tub that I grew potatoes in and that will be their new home, with fresh bedding.  I have the louse powder and the red mite powder.  Do I sprinkle the chicks with any of it?

Her comb is alittle redder today.  She sat in the nesting box for 9 weeks all told.  The other hens that shared the boxes with her are fine.  She was Frontlined alittle over six weeks ago. 

I'm just hoping that I've sorted it well enough.  Thank you again for all your support here.  This group is my life-line.  I don't know what I would do without you.   :)

cochin

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 08:52 »
Although it is very probable she has red mite (I always powder my broodies before putting eggs under) if she has been broody for 6 weeks - which is a very long time for a hen who won't have been eating properly drinking properly and will have been inside and not moving much - you can expect her comb to be very pale, the fact that she has hatched out her chicks and the colour is already coming back shows that - good luck

xx
very Pale comb

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 16:48
by CattinJ
xx
Hen with pale comb

Started by kingnothing on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 11:55
by kingnothing
xx
Very pale comb and wattles

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 08, 2010, 09:10
by Bonniebean
xx
Pale Comb with a white dusting?

Started by westview on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 21:42
by westview

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 39 queries.