very pale comb on broody - is this normal?!

• 9 Replies

Sparkle

very pale comb on broody - is this normal?!
« on: July 16, 2009, 22:45 »
Hey guys
After all the help about broody coops all has been going well with broody girl _ it is really great to have aforum where so many people get back to you with words of wisdom - thanks!

The problem is that broody is not really leaving the eggs at all to go get water and food etc- and as a result I have been hand feeding her a bit with a mix of bread, soya milk, mash and corn -yes I know I am a softie - I hope this combo is ok? it is a combination that  all the girls seem to go nuts for  as a special treat

Anyway, today I noticed that she looks really really pale on comb and wobbly bits by beak and I just wanted to know if this was normal because she is not laying and is broody or is it a warning sign that I should be doing something?
I really just want to leave her alone to get on with it -as thousands of hens have been doing quite happily for centuries- but don't want to find when faced with a dead chicken that I have been neglectful in any way as a newbie so to speak
any advice from you guys gratefully received
Sparks

Vember

Re: very pale comb on broody - is this normal?!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 22:53 »
Hi Sparkle

She really needs to come off the nest completely for at least 15 mins a day, if she will not do this herself you are going to have to lift her off :)

Can you check her over for lice and also her broody house for red mite :)
Hens that are that determined to sit can end up being killed by bloodsuckers all because they are looking after eggies :(

Other thing to try her with is some Battles Poultry drink might just give her a boost :D

Edit ~ I only ever give my broody girls corn & water and they do just fine :D

Sarah :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 22:55 by Vember »

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 22:58 »
Hi,
Broodies to go more pale in their combs, but as Vember said I would check for Lice and Red Mite, if you have Red Mite they will be under where she is Brooding, check the corner.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Sparkle

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:12 »
Thanks guys - will go check for mites in between the showers!
Sparks

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 10:22 »
redmite can easily kill a broody hen, I nearly lost one last year, bought a brand new broody coop, but forgot to spray the coop before I popped the hen in, although I powdered the hen and sprinkled powder on the straw I was using for her nest, 3 weeks later the little arc was infested, it happened so quickly I was horrified. The mites were in the hinges of the arc, and bless her she didn't move, I should have known better, so check and doulble check! They are horrible things and the bane of the poultry keeper. >:(

Sparkle

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 10:27 »
Thanks Foxy for the tip
My broody arc is also new so i didn't spray it - feel a bit silly now
will check immediately despite the rain!
Sparky

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 13:27 »
I nearly lost a broody Japanese Bantam when she refused to get off her eggs... when I lefted her off I found she was also crawling with black lice (note red mites) - it amazes me how they are so blinking determined to hatch those eggs whatever the cost to themselves.  I ended up putting the eggs in the incubator and giving her an anti flea bath... she stopped being broody after that... oh and then got eaten by the fox but that's another story.

Hope u don't have red mite and good luck with the chicks... does she have long to go??
Mad chicken woman

Sparkle

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 14:59 »
Well thought I'd give you an update after all the excellent advice...
the broody coop seems to be a mite and louse free zone - thank goodness -but will do some preventative treatment even so as it sounds like it is only a matter of time before she gets infested.
I turfed her off the eggs to check her over and look for mites etc in the coop and found that the source of the strange smell I noticed this morning was a broken egg so I cleaned everything up put fresh straw in and she went straight back in to sit on the eggs - only 4 left now and as she has only been on the fertile eggs for a week now lets hope she doesn't break any more!!
Other than that comb still a bit pale - sort of salmon colour - but she doesn't seem too bad
I think however I wil get her into the habit of being turfed off the eggs for a few mins so she can stretch her legs and eat and drink and I can check her for creepy crawlies
Like you I am amazed how steadfast they can be when determined to brood
I was told that ex batts and rescue hens are not likely to go brody as it has been bred out of the professional egg layers - is that true? If so my broody is taking no notice!
Sparky

grumpydad

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 10:01 »
emptied the nest boxes and checked them, all seemed clear, dusted with de, and louse powder, this is now week 6 for the bantam, and week 3 for a wyandotte.

Added poultry spice to the feed to give an extra boost when i can get them out, but they were at the pop hole as i was cleaning out, and jumped in through the door as i went for clean woodshavings.

They are determined, and they must be uncomfortable, as they share the same nest box !!!!!! why ? when there is one adjacent !!!!!!!, why have the others stopped laying ? this is all very confusing......

I have an idea to break them, by bringing them in and showing them the oven..Lol....dont think it will work, but worth a try...

martyn

grumpydad

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 10:02 »
PS.... OH says try hanging a packet of sage and onion stuffing in the run...LOL....

xx
Any ideas? - Pale shrunken comb but normal red wattles?!

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 12:29
by Casey76
xx
Hen with pale comb

Started by kingnothing on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 11:55
by kingnothing
xx
very Pale comb

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 16:48
by CattinJ
xx
Very Pale Comb

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 08:52
by cochin

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 39 queries.