horsetail/marestail

• 22 Replies

RaptorUK

Re: horsetail/marestail
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 17:18 »

Like bindweed here...

Bindweed can be effectively spot treated with Glyphosate gel,  wish the same were true for Horsetail.  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 17:53 »

Like bindweed here...

Bindweed can be effectively spot treated with Glyphosate gel,  wish the same were true for Horsetail.  ;)

Thank you Raptor! I must have been asleep when this was proved!

When will be the day that just a single swipe with a weedkiller is enough to eradicate these nasties, eh?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 05:20 »
We did our plot inspections last night, including the plot behind mine. The horsetail/marestail there is totally out of control and has spread significantly across a neighbouring plot to the extent that the paths are covered in it and it's visible in the majority of the beds.

The rest of the Committee (all on the other field where there is currently no marestail) are finally considering how it could be kept under control/eradicated, including moving the tenant to a vacant plot and hiring a contractor to spray a few times.

Has anyone had any good results with either Kurtail or Broadshot to deal with marestail?

Nobbie

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 08:02 »
I had my plot sprayed with Kurtail last year, but it's still come back this year. It's worst around the edges where it's obviously coming in from the neighbouring abandoned plot, but even in the middle of the plot it's still popping up. I just pull it out when I see it now and have stopped worrying about it as it does little harmand is preferrable to bindwind. Unless you're prepared to spend a couple of years spraying I don't think you'll get rid of it, but a couple of applications should knock it back hard and slow it's spread.

surbie100

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 09:28 »
Thanks Nobbie. I would say 75% of the plot is now marestail. Spraying it once to knock it back would be great to buy us time to deal with it by digging out as much as possible. We're looking at spraying the half she hasn't touched now and then the whole thing in spring, with help in the meantime to at least manage its advance.

The current tenant obviously can't cope or doesn't have the time for a plot and so it doesn't make sense to leave it to go (even more) rampant.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 09:40 »
Has anyone had any good results with either Kurtail or Broadshot to deal with marestail?

We used Kurtail (legally) on a number of our vacant plots last year; three treatments.  It knocked the mare's tail back well but still requires vigilant weeding this year.

Goosegirl

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 13:56 »
I have heard that if you bruise it - maybe by trampling on it - then apply a glyphosate weedkiller treatment with added liquid soap, it is supposed to knock it back quite a lot.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

surbie100

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 16:43 »

We used Kurtail (legally) on a number of our vacant plots last year; three treatments.  It knocked the mare's tail back well but still requires vigilant weeding this year.

Thanks Aunt Sally, good to know.

I have heard that if you bruise it - maybe by trampling on it - then apply a glyphosate weedkiller treatment with added liquid soap, it is supposed to knock it back quite a lot.

Unfortunately at the height it is now trampling snaps it.  :(

xx
Horsetail/marestail killer

Started by grumpyoldb on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 21:51
by grumpyoldb
xx
Horsetail - Marestail Problem Weed Eradication

Started by Stevie P on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 17:55
by mushroom
xx
marestail

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 20:27
by DD.
xx
Marestail

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 22:58
by colin120

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 38 queries.