Poor chicken being bullied :-((

• 8 Replies

chick with chicks

Poor chicken being bullied :-((
« on: October 09, 2009, 21:21 »
Hi All,

We have a four chickens that were introduced a few weeks ago but it's becoming apparent that she's being "pecked" on.  >:(
The feathers around her eyes and head have been pecked out and the others aren't letting her into the coop at night now.  :ohmy:
We have a seperately fenced area that we have her in tonight, but we aren't sure what to do?
Please help the poor little chookie, it's so not nice.  :(
Thanks all,

Carrie

redmolly

• Experienced Member
Re: Poor chicken being bullied :-((
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 21:22 »
Oh that's sad!! Sorry to hear that!! Hopefully someone will be along to offer advice soon!! I had one being picked on in the beginning.....but now she is the bully!! Hope it all works out  :(

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 08:10 »
Hello
It's awful watching the bullying isn't it :mad:
When I have introduced new hens I have put then 'in a run' 'in the run' (after quarantine), so they are fully visible but not accessible to the other hens. This way they seem to get the hierarchy sorted out without doing any physical harm.
After a week or 2 when the nosiness and squaring-up has died down I put the new hens in the main house AFTER all the others have gone to bed, so it is dark and there is no danger of the new hens getting on 'someone else's' perch.
I have also always introduced in at least 2's so new hens are not alone, so might be worth getting some company for your bullied hen to help her along  :)
Jo 

chick with chicks

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 11:29 »
Hi all,

Just a bit of an update. We checked o the hen this morning and she wasn't coming out of her house, so my hubbie checked the other hens this morning and found the one that was getting hassle and put it in with the recovering hen, it went into the hen and started to peck it!! >:(

We put it back in with the others and the poor hen left has both eyes swollen shut and a blooming wound beside one eye, as well as varous lumps all over the head from being pecked.
It look terrible and it keeps bumping into the fence when it moves as it can't see. It's head is as if it's shrunk back into it's neck and it's not moving.  :(
Should we put it back into it's little house or out during the day?
What should we do to treat the wounds?
What is the general prognosis of a hen in this situation?

It is very badly battered, feel so sorry for it. We've had hens since the begining of the summer and always thought that the fox would be the problem not each  other  :(

Carrie

nzdunn

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 11:57 »
arh poor girlie bless it, i would definatley not put her back in with the others, have you got any purple spray, as well as healing properties it also masks the wound so not as attractive to your other girls as they will just keep pecking and pecking at it, a vet trip i think  is necessary if her eyes are swollen she may need some anti inflamtries (sp) or antibiotics.    Is it all your other girlies that are pecking her or is it just one, removing that girl for a few days mite be called for, its gonna be very hard re introducing her i reckon as she has been picked on so much.  nickyx

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 18:39 »
hi! i agree - dont put her back with the others - they may well end up killing her.  When she is better can you continue to keep her completely separated but able to see the others? -when she is completely better  you could try putting in with her one of yours if you can find one that will get on with her when  just the 2 of them are together and then  re - introduce the 2 of them back to your existing flock after a couple of weeks? dont know what else to suggest but moving them around like that does sometimes sort out a problem. i hope your little girl is better really soon,  good luck

chick with chicks

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 20:20 »
Hi all!

We went to the vet and she thought that we would be better to use warm salted water and sudocreme on the wounds and isin't sure but one of the eyes might be gone  :ohmy:. It's scabbed over so hard we can't get near it at the moment, the other eye I cleaned and hardened puss has come away letting the eye open partially but it's very swollen.
We have been syringing water into her to keep her hydrated as she can't see to get to her bowls :(
Yes we can keep her apart, forever if nessecary, and the area she is in is adjoining the bigger area, so they can see her.  We will give her time to heal and then try to get her a pal and reintroduce her, thanks for that  ;)
We think the problem has come from the fact that these chickens are a lot younger than the established crowd and she was obviously the quiet one, poor baba. Lessons learnt all the time!
Thank you so much for all your support :)

Carrie

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 22:00 »
Aw bless her!!! If you lived closer I'd send you one of my 12 week old girls to keep her company...she's a tiny bit bullied too - although I think the little cock is taking her under his wing a bit - but no-one else seems to like her for some reason, she's getting more and more timid. I do hope your poor girl makes a good recovery and ends up going out and giving the others what for in time!!! Good luck nursing her xx

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 22:44 »
Poor little chook, sending her a big kiss, I hope her eyes are ok  :unsure: xxx

xx
Help please! Poor bullied ducklings....

Started by heatherhsp on The Hen House

50 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 20:59
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Bullied chicken

Started by mark porcher on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 21:13
by ehs284
xx
BULLIED CHICKEN!

Started by Cal_Leghorn on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 15:17
by Chicken Pete
xx
Chicken being bullied

Started by RebeccaM on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 01:55
by joshbuchan

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 38 queries.