Help with hatching chick

• 9 Replies

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Help with hatching chick
« on: August 03, 2009, 21:15 »
Hi, my broody has hatched 2 chicks, one has died during the night trying to hatch, and now another may be in trouble. We've got it under the lamp in a box and taken a bit of shell off, how do we know if its resting or weak, someone please?
    Hope that makes sense, 2 chicks are fine,
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
Re: Help with hatching chick
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 22:19 »
Hi,
Sorry but it sounds like a weak chick, the broody hen would have helped it out of it's shell if she thought it would make it.  :(

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 23:06 »
Is the chick still in the shell? If so get a pair of tweezers and start to peel the shell off very gently and have some cotton wool or buds and tepid water to help soften the membrane. Just take your time and ease all the shell and membrane away from the chick. You have nothing to lose now it will be very weak so try and drop some sugar water on its beak so it helps give it some strength and I hope it makes it through the night ……………fingers crossed and good luck.

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 00:28 »
if your picking the shell off, stop if it starts to bleed, if the beak is visible make sure the membrane isn't covering it and it can breath, be careful not to get water in the nostrils or it could drown quite easily, chicks in this position can take a while to hatch, be patient, i'm afraid there's no sure way of knowing if it will survive or not :(

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 06:10 »
Hi the chick survived the night and i think i'm still alive, its just out the shell but the navel hasn't quite healed there is a red sack, will it be alright, it seems strongish and deserves a chance :( Thanks for replies

kimT

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 08:09 »
Just let the little chick rest and gather its strength the sac should just shrink as the day goes by. Well done..................its very difficult to explain to someone how to help if you have too but glad we all could help a little. I saved one of my chicks last year and she is now a beautiful Jubilee Orp who lays like mad.

Keep us posted.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 08:14 »
Kim, thankyou, its also a bit sticky so cant fluff up properly, any ideas what to clean with and when. I think its doing well and has good lungs. So pleased the sac will probably shrink. I'm shattered, but chuffed :)

kimT

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 08:20 »
You could try some warm water on cotton buds and try and soften some of the sticky stuff but be careful not to touch or catch the sac as it could bleed and you need to leave that until it comes away naturally. You could also try and syringe a little sugar water around the beak it helps with shock and will also give it a little strength.

If your tired just think how this little chap feels. :)

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:29 »
Thanks I'll try that and a bit of sugar water.
    I hope its not a 'little chap' after all of that, no just joking, just pleased its having a chance. I'm amazed its got through the night, not out the woods yet, i'll let you all know later. Thanks everyone :D

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 15:05 »
Ok, its not doing as well as i hoped. Please dont anyone say i should have let nature take its course, i had already lost one and just wanted to try to save this one. I'VE done sugar water a couple of times, the sac seems to be drying up. It is able to get away from the heat, it's sleeping most of the time and wakes for a couple of minutes cheeps, moves goes back to sleep. Should it be stronger by now, is there anything else i can do? Thanks. :(

xx
Hatching a chick

Started by Diane on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 19:48
by Diane
xx
chick hatching death

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 13:09
by Chookiechook
xx
From the first crack in an egg, To a chick hatching

Started by kizza on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 17:23
by babe
xx
how long between each chick hatching

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 18:01
by redspookycooky

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 39 queries.