Brown Ranger

• 7 Replies

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
Brown Ranger
« on: December 19, 2011, 12:10 »
Can anyone give me any info on 'brown ranger' hens? Are these the same as Warrens?

I'm getting a bit confused as breeders seem to give them all different names but can't find much listed on the internet.

Would they be okay to mix with pekins and a favorelle?

Casey76

Re: Brown Ranger
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 13:01 »
Most "ranger" type hens are a basic production red.  They are sex-linked so are colour-sexable at one day old.

They are usually a Rhode Island Red cockerel and Light Sussex hen, though any gold cockerel and silver hen will work.

They all have different names, because the hatcheries which produce them specifically breed the parent stock for certain traits.  Therefore ISA Browns, Warrens, Lohmans, Rangers etc are all "patented" even though they are basically the same genetic mix.

They should mix fine with pekins and a Faverolles

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:44 »
It isn't a good idea to mix vaccinated and non vaccinated chooks so take care. The hybrids are more likely, although not necessarily, to have been vaccinated. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 20:35 »
I have a ranger mixed with 3 pure breed and they work amazing together infact my ranger made me think i wanted a whole flock of them AMAZING charactors so placid and inquisitive really beautiful little girl i love her so independent and determend to try everything always dirty and always playing bless her can you tell i love my girl x

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 08:06 »
Thanks everyone, that's really helpful. Your girl sounds gorgeous, PixieSwift. I've now reserved two, which will be arriving in February so really excited and looking forward to getting them home. They've been vaccinated so hopefully all will be okay. I love my three but they are not the best layers!

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 21:02 »
My ranger has never missed a day laying since she started my pure breeds lay maybe every other or every few days and they make a right song and dance about it rosey so everyone can hear they have laid an egg Ranger is so cool he doesn't make a sound just looks around as if to say well that's me egg out ( same time every morning before 8 am ) chucks a few twigs and leaves on his back ( i love watching this ) and then off to have breakfast and a scratch AMAZING hens GREAT choice  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 21:20 »
My ranger has never missed a day laying since she started my pure breeds lay maybe every other or every few days and they make a right song and dance about it rosey so everyone can hear they have laid an egg Ranger is so cool he doesn't make a sound just looks around as if to say well that's me egg out ( same time every morning before 8 am ) chucks a few twigs and leaves on his back ( i love watching this ) and then off to have breakfast and a scratch AMAZING hens GREAT choice  :D

errr shouldn't that be her back? :unsure:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 21:26 »
Ha ha ha ha you caught me out i have tried to say she all the way through that post Joyfull let me explain obviously she is a hen and a girl but i call her a him because it's my ranger she is such a boy so i refer to her as him in my crazy world but when i talk to you guys i have to say she as you will think she is a cock but my ranger is my good lad ha ha Ranger should be a boy, looks like one, plays like one so in our little chicken world out in the garden he is one    :mad: hope that makes sense

xx
Calder Ranger

Started by littlewitch on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 08:17
by trinacooke
xx
Whats a Ranger ?

Started by stanlmic on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 19:50
by Aunt Sally
xx
Ambers and Ranger POL needed

Started by colliebird on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 11:52
by joyfull
xx
Hello a brown egg.

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 13, 2007, 22:14
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 40 queries.