Potato planting

• 7 Replies

Patch

Potato planting
« on: April 12, 2011, 18:58 »
Would other more experienced gardeners / allotmenters please clear this up if possible.

When planting potatoes, in the "Vegetable and Herb Expert" book it says that, considering it it a root vegetable, you should not use manure and instead put down a general-purpose fertilizer, like Growmore, a week or so before planting.

However in the "Grow Your Own" booklets of years ago and on the RHS site, both says to put manure in the drills for a better yield.

Which one, if any, is right or is it a personal choice, i.e. do both ways work just as well?

Also, regarding putting manure in the drills, is this manure the same as home made compost that we make on a heap or in a compost bin or are manure and home made compost two different things?

Many thanks for the advice allotmenters (hopefully it is alright to call you that - if not please tell me).

:)

Kleftiwallah

Re: Potato planting
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 19:04 »

Manure is the stinky stuff from the back end of cows, horses, pigs etc,  compost is garden and kitchen waste rotted down over some months. 

Eventually the stinky stuff will not stink any more, in fact it has quite plesant smell when fully rotted down, this is when it is suitable to put in the potato trench.

If you have access to well rotted manure, I should go for that.  This will not only feed the growing spuds but put 'body' and nutrients into the soil for subsequent crops.    Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 19:29 »
both household and fresh manure need to be rotted down over some months. you could mix them together and let it rot over time.

you could buy commercial manure from the shops if you think you need some now but wait a few days for it to settle after putting it in. bit of growmore or groworganic won't hurt but ensure you follow their instructions.

i normally add manure bit of compost to soil to improve its texture to make it porous/soft and like tony says add nutrients. my understanding is soft soil would be easy for growing spuds inside to displace the soil and grow bigger than harder soil that clumps together over time and may hinder spud growth, its what i experienced from hard soil - i.e. small spuds. like you do with spuds make the tall mounds and insert the chitted potato's inside.

PG

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 19:51 »
The difference in purpose between manure and fertilisers was drummed into me when I did a gardening course.

Essentially, the main purpose of manure (and other organic matter such as compost) is to improve soil structure, aid drainage and water retention (yes, I know they appear contradictory but both are equally true!).  Manure is not terribly high in nutrients, but will help retain water around the spuds when they are growing.

Fertilisers provide the nutrients which the potato needs to maximise its development.  Hence applying it before planting.  I use a specific potato fertiliser which I get from the lotty shop.  Fertilisers do not aid soil structure as such.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 20:05 »
I line the trenches into which I plant my Spuds with well rotted manure.  In effect the seed potato sits on the manure.

However, the potatoes that are formed are above this point (in the main).

I think if Potatoes are formed in contact with manure it encourages scab, but if the original seed potato is in contact with / close to the manure that the roots then grow into the manure, and that improves the flavour (compared to spuds that did not have manure to root into)

I put 3" - 4" of manure in the bottom of the bags that I grow spuds in too.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 21:17 »
I do both!

I dig in manure in Autumn time (well usually later  :blush:), then before planting I add chicken pellets for slow food release and follow on through the weeks by watering in miraclegro/other soluble feed.

Dont underestimate the watering either...thats a vital part of spud growing successfully too.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 21:31 »
Dont underestimate the watering either...thats a vital part of spud growing successfully too.
PP, I totally agree watering your spuds throughout their growing season is vital.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 23:59 »
I've put chicken pellets in the trenches because my manure is mushroom compost which has lime in it so I avoid using it for spuds. My own compost is being used elsewhere.
I'll also feed a bit during growth but the earth is very rich anyway as it's been fallow with years of falling leaves.

xx
POTATO PLANTING

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 06:13
by lacewing
xx
potato planting?

Started by coo! on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 17:26
by coo!
xx
potato planting

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 17, 2017, 18:03
by 3759allen
xx
Potato Planting Comparison

Started by iwantanallotment on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 17:33
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 38 queries.