mares tail

• 22 Replies

allot2learn

Re: mares tail
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 23:35 »
Savbo got it in one. Heavy liming will knock it back. It also has a big effect on slugs.

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 00:50 »
My new little greenhouse across the road has a lovely crop of the stuff. It's a joy to see something green popping up even if I forget to water it.  :lol:

It's not too much of a bother - it was there before I arrived and I'm sure it'll be there when I'm long gone.

I (as others have already advised) - pull it up, swipe its pretty little head off with a hoe everytime I see it and know that it'll be back to entertain me very soon.

I tried digging it up (said hello to a relative in Sydney and still it wouldn't budge)... I tried spraying and nearly ended up with a tan and still it came back...

So..... I relax and remember it doesn't take up much room and it's easily sliced through and cleared if you keep at it regularly.

Have fun.  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 01:29 »
Paul, I do believe that you're the only person I know who cultivates mares tail in the greenhouse. It must keep you endlessly amused  ;)

fatbelly

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 08:16 »
I admire Mares Tail, it's a long lasting tough weed that just keeps on going. I have it on my plot and whenever I see it I hoe it off. This works but if you let it be then it does what it has been doing for millions of years. For me it's not the worst weed, it doesn't out compete my Veg for light or space.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 09:23 »
We have Mair's Tail on the south half of our allotments. I'm at the north end and every year I note it advancing slowiy towards my plot.

I'm getting ready - got my pill-box built and I'm just installing the flame thrower...

;)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 02:04 »
We have Mair's Tail on the south half of our allotments. I'm at the north end and every year I note it advancing slowiy towards my plot.

I'm getting ready - got my pill-box built and I'm just installing the flame thrower...

;)

You need one of those there (rather like a fire break thing-me-bob) deep trench full of... of... of something that mares tail doesn't like growing through.... short-sighted rabbits with no taste buds.  :wacko:

Nah..... just keep a hoe handy.  ;)

cadalot

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 06:38 »
We have been informed by one of the guys from the parks department that our allotment is the worst in the borough for it - Looks like I have my work cut our reading this thread - I'm working on the assumption that if my plot only took two years to get as bad as it did then the soil must be able of growing somethiing useful with some tender loving care.

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 14:49 »
We have been informed by one of the guys from the parks department that our allotment is the worst in the borough for it - Looks like I have my work cut our reading this thread - I'm working on the assumption that if my plot only took two years to get as bad as it did then the soil must be able of growing somethiing useful with some tender loving care.

And if the mares tail grows really tall you'll have the added benefit of a semi-permanent wind break  :lol:

Seriously.... the stuff is a pain but not an insurmountable one. Just keep removing it when it appears. Off with its head and carry on - I think that's about the best solution.

xx
mares tail'horse tail

Started by flutemaster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 20:54
by gobs
xx
mares tail

Started by archies plot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 22:51
by fatbelly
xx
mares tail

Started by longey on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 27, 2011, 17:09
by longey
xx
Has anyone got Mares Tail yet?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 23:32
by Ann

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 39 queries.