Carrots in large pots

• 5 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
Carrots in large pots
« on: February 20, 2016, 18:18 »
I have grown carrots in large pots topping them up with compost and sand. The boxes are large so would be difficult to replace all the compost and very costly.  I added to last year and I have had a good crop. I realise it's not ideal to keep using the same compost but not sure what else to do.  I am tempted just to add new compost to the top later again and hope for the best. How do others manage to grow in large pots. Thanks

maddave

• Experienced Member
Re: Carrots in large pots
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 18:30 »
I grow in big self made pallet raised beds, 2 foot deep, by about 4 foot long.  At the end of the year I tip out all the compost onto a ground sheet, drag it to another bed on the allotment and tip it over that. Then refill with fresh compost. I find I only need 1 and half, to two bags of new compost to fill the raised bed afterwards.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 06:01 »
Chick, we grow carrots in four plastic buckets with drainage holes, high up to deter carrot fly.

I think this year, we'll just turn out the old compost into the wheelbarrow, add some more new stuff to 'freshen' it, and do the same as you!

We're still using last year's crop, which I lifted, trimmed off the leaves, put in a frost-free greenhouse and just covered with dry compost in another bucket!

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 10:19 »
 Last year i i started my carrots off in a seed tray, when big  enough i transplanted them into big pots about 40 at
 a time,, now this will make you chuckle when i transplanted them i dibbed the hole but the end of the root must of got caught  up and did not go in the hole right, anyway when ready to pull as and when, some of the roots were curved, some like a U , and  twisted ,,a good scrub off top and tail we don't peel them, taste good,,, :)
Colin

lettice

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 10:38 »
I've grown carrots in tubs for many years. Seeds sown in the tub, so easy to thin and transplant.
Just turn out the soil, give it a mix round, refresh it with a spade full and then add small handful of pellet type fertiliser and a few wet squeezed seaweed leaves.
Always have a great crop and pick them from July to March.
Have grown many varieties, but my fav is Chantenay Red Cored, as they have a long growing season and perfect for tub growing.
Always heard that carrots are not that fussy soil wise and dislike recently matured soil.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:40 by lettice »

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 15:52 »
I also just add fresh compost to the top and get a good crop each year.

xx
large pots?

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 14:05
by pawsnclaws
xx
carrots in large boxes

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2014, 22:30
by harrymac
xx
Sliced Large Plant Pots and Buckets ???

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 10:27
by azubah
xx
greenhouse tomatoes - growbag or large pots

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 15:36
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 38 queries.