Help please - bullied chicken

• 3 Replies

girliesx4

Help please - bullied chicken
« on: June 12, 2009, 09:13 »
Morning all,  Am new to this and have  had our 4 ex-batts for 3 weeks now.  All was going well and the pecking order seemed to have sorted itself out relatively peacefully.  Over the last 3 days though Biriyani has taken a dislike to Vindaloo and pecks her at every available oppertunity.  So much so that Vindaloo now has several bald spots which are red and sore looking.  We used purple spay on them last night and Biriyani immediately chased her around the garden pecking like mad (thought they did not like the spray) and this morning will not let her out of the coop.  Naga and Jalfrazi are also starting to join in.  Have had to come to work but left food and water in the coop for Vindaloo.  Someone will be home soon to let them out into the garden.  Should we keep  Biriyani in the run.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Help please - bullied chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:18 »
There is an anti pecking spray that you can get that they don't like the taste off. The purple spray is to help with the healing (and it gets rid of the blood colour - chickens will attack if they see blood). I have two bullies and have got beak rings (although a few days in chicken prison - seperate coop- for the bullies solved my problem). The beak rings are available for £1.00 for 8 from the wild fowl trust.
Staffies are softer than you think.

JuneFR

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:20 »
I am new to this site also, so welcome.

Remove the bullied hen, let her recover and then re-introduce.  Chickens are cannibalistic and will worry her and do more damage, which could be fatal if the chick goes into shock or gives up.  Once she has recovered put her back in the pen, she will be a bit stronger to deal with sorting out the pecking order.  

Failing that I would remove the bully!!  Let her establish herself with the other birds and then put the 'bully' back in to become the bottom of the pecking order.

ash

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 19:25 »
I have 6 chickens.  They all seem to get along fine now BUT when we first got them the sussex bullied the other 5.  Eventually the sussex singled out the Bluebell and heavily bullied her.  I bought 'Stockholm tar' and painted this on to the bluebells backside.  Other chickens do not like the smell of the tar, and the bluebell recovered. 

If you search for stockholme tar on line, you will find lots of suppliers

good luck  :)

xx
Chicken being bullied

Started by RebeccaM on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 01:55
by joshbuchan
sad
bullied chicken

Started by hillary1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 20:16
by joyfull
question
help have one chicken being bullied

Started by amythyst5040 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 18:08
by karlooben
xx
Help-chicken is being bullied

Started by new heather on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 21:37
by Carla

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 39 queries.