Another thread about tail feathers!

• 6 Replies

300AJC

• My other pet's a Land Rover!
Another thread about tail feathers!
« on: May 28, 2012, 21:32 »
Hello,

I have done a few searches rather than just wade in with a question (they don't like that on the Land Rover form I also use!) but I can't seem to fine a definitive answer, so here goes....

I have six former battery hens. They seem healthy, happy and all get on well. However, they have taken to Pecking at each other's tail feathers, not aggressively and none of them seem to mind it being done. Are they just preening each other? Should I be concerned or is this just normal behaviour?

If it helps, they don't seem to get bored. They get the run of the garden during the day. They don't bully each other and I haven't spotted any creepy crawlies. I spray the coop when I clean it at weekends.

I'm sorry if this is a much asked question but, as I mentioned, I searched but couldn't find a common answer.

Thanks in anticipation.

Andrew
6 chickens, 1 Land Rover

PaulineM

Re: Another thread about tail feathers!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 22:22 »
Hi
One of my Isa hens loves to peck at the my other hens. Not aggressively I may add but quite firmly, the other hens are quite happy to let her. I think she see's flecks of dirt on them and thinks she is removing lice  :D
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

jhub

• jane
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 17:38 »
Hello,
Have found this thread by Casey, hope it helps.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=89079.msg990343#msg990343

300AJC

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 19:12 »
Thanks jhub. They seem happy enough, no bullying or bleeding. They have a daily diet of layer pellets with a corn mix, plenty of water. One feeder usually has a tonic in it, the other just water and they gobble up veg waste etc.

I'll keep an eye on them and report any changes.  :)

jhub

• jane
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 23:55 »
Just to clarify are you mixing layers pellets with corn as it's not clear from your post? If so the they will eat the corn in preference and this  should only be given as a treat later in the day. If I've got this wrong then I'm sorry if ' I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs' so as to speak.

300AJC

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 13:41 »
Sorry for the delay jhub. It's mixed together In their feeder and they eat the lot.

Is that not ok? I'm not too experienced with keeping chickens having had them for less than a year. Hence joining the forum. :)

kegs

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 14:03 »
Corn is a treat and will fill them up too much so try just sprinkling an egg cup amount per bird at the end of the day when they've had their fill of pellets.  See if that makes a difference to their feather pecking.  If not, if they were mine, I'd use Frontline puppy strength on them.  It could well be that they have lice but you just haven't been able to see them.

xx
Tail feathers

Started by jonesblack on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 15:07
by Beano
xx
hen missing tail feathers

Started by claire130 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 13:47
by Sooz
xx
Sad chicken with tail feathers down

Started by chickadee11 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 19:22
by chickadee11
xx
Bit worried - tail feathers down

Started by Molly Hen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 19:19
by Molly Hen

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 39 queries.