WHAT TO FEED THE GIRLS?

• 1 Replies

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
WHAT TO FEED THE GIRLS?
« on: December 01, 2009, 21:12 »
In august i took on 6  very scraggy ex-battery hens i keep on my alotment. They now look healthy, plenty of feathers etc. and are laying OK although less in this cold weather.
i was adviced when i got them to feed them 125gr of a 50/50 mix layer pellet/mixed corn but after reading some threads on here think this might be wrong.

Should it be all layer pellet and corn only used as a treat???????? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

They have all day acces to a secure open run 12 by 8 feet and to the alotment approx 1hr a day to forage, lots more at weekend and in the warmer months!!!

Also i'm giving them an extra mugful a day to help them in the cold!!!

All advice gratefully recieved

Steve :unsure:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 22:47 by noshed »

dizzylizzie

Re: WHAT TOO FEED THE GIRLS??????????
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 21:31 »
Hi, im glad your ex-batts are doing well, its great to see them feathered up looking like chucks isnt it?
I just half fill a few feeders with a good quality layers pellet, and leave them dotted around. I make sure they have access to the pellets all day so they can feed as and when they want to, and i re-fill them when empty. Mine also free range from lunch time, so they get lots of greens and bugs etc also. They have fresh water all the time, and they have oystershell for calcium and grit to help them break down the food, they do get a lot of grit from the ground tho, so don worry if it dosent seem to be going down quickly! They have a handful of corn around t-time to help them keep warm in the colder weather. As a treat they have a few rasins or mealworms, but everyone does it differently. I think the generel consensus is that they have fresh food and water available all through the day :)

xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac
xx
How to feed/howmuch to feed

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 22:14
by Jacinta
xx
feed

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 13:03
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 38 queries.