Are my beetroot going to get any bigger?

• 10 Replies

banf77

Are my beetroot going to get any bigger?
« on: September 24, 2016, 21:23 »
Hi
I live in SE England. I have picked most of my beetroot over the last few months, but the remaining ones are pretty tiny. Are they likely to get any bigger?

Thanks
Steve

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Are my beetroot going to get any bigger?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:01 »
While the weather is mild they might well do.  I have some that are pretty uninspiring at the moment, but as I don't need the ground, they are staying in.

Unless you are in a rush to clear the plot, there's nothing to lose by giving them a while longer  :)

Aled

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 10:06 »
Made a similar decision yesterday banf77 and new Shoot, they've got another 10 days then they are coming out.
Cheers
Aled 

banf77

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 21:11 »
Thanks both,
Will give them a little longer then, in the hope they have a last minute spurt!  :D

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 23:36 »
Well this is interesting. An experienced veggie gardener friend told me weeks ago that I should harvest all my beetroot so I did, despite the fact that many were very small. I pickled the lot.
Now from these posts, it looks like I might have been able to give them longer in the ground to grow to a better size.  :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:29 »
Well this is interesting. An experienced veggie gardener friend told me weeks ago that I should harvest all my beetroot so I did, despite the fact that many were very small. I pickled the lot.
Now from these posts, it looks like I might have been able to give them longer in the ground to grow to a better size.  :(

And every gardener you ask will give you different advice  :lol:

It depends on how you like to do things.  I am the queen of "wing it', so will chance early or late sowings if it costs nothing but a little time to try it,  bung stuff in on a whim and leave crops in the ground if I think they might produce in the end. 

My plot is far from perfect, my ideas sometimes work and sometimes they don't, but I rarely come back from the plot empty handed  :)

Others like to clear and tidy stuff away as soon as they can and rip out anything that doesn't look picture perfect from the start.

They are more variations in approach in between these two extremes than you could shake a dibber at  :lol:

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 10:43 »
For what it is worth some of my beetroot is still in the ground. As long as the weather is occasionally warm I reckon it is worth waiting a bit. Only watch out is if you have slugs that fancy eating them before you do😱😱

Cheers HH
Keep digging

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 17:12 »
Of course it also depends a lot on your location & weather patterns. I take New Shoots attitude, some you win some you lose, also what works one year doesn't necessarily work another
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

scenic

• Scenic blogspot
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 08:48 »
Up here in north Wales ive regularly left my beetroot in the ground for a long as possible, even overwintering when its mild.   As for growth, ive had a fantastic crop this year and I'm pretty much getting roots the site of between one and two tennis balls.  Been inundated.

p6t6

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 17:28 »
Had a good year for beetroots, but the ones that are left in have not developed despite being left in the ground for a long time. They'll come out when I have time

Aled

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 09:54 »
They ended up having 16 days in the ground, and will be taken out tomorrow. It  was a good move as they have grown much bigger, during this drier and brighter spell.  So it was worth the wait!
Cheers
Aled

xx
I want bigger beetroot

Started by amandaandherveg on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 22:54
by Ice
xx
bigger the set ?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 16:17
by prakash_mib
xx
Big onions plus a even BIGGER ONE!

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 11:31
by digalotty
xx
How to get fewer, bigger potatoes

Started by lozenge on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 20:27
by PAH48

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 40 queries.