Not sure if I should replace the dishwasher..

• 19 Replies

Lardman

Not sure if I should replace the dishwasher..
« on: October 28, 2018, 14:47 »
It's held together with gaffa tape and a prayer but has finally given up the ghost today. I'm pretty sure it's the re circulation pump which is just over £100 delivered.

I was sitting here trying to figure out if it was worth fixing it or just buying a new one, warranty, new tech, less likely there would be additional faults etc when it strikes me now I'm not as busy as I was, I don't cook as much as I did and my bank balance doesn't look as healthy as it used to...  is it actually possible to justify a dishwasher for 1 person  :unsure:  :ohmy:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 15:06 by Lardman »

8doubles

Re: Not sure if I should replace the dishwasher..
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 15:18 »
Just had a full Sunday roast and everything is in the dishwasher till i feel like pressing the button.

Does that answer your question ? :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 15:21 »
I justified it to myself  :lol:
For me, the kitchen stays tidier, with the dirty dishes in the m/c - but I only turn it on when it is full, probably every 3rd day. I rinse the occasional saucepan by hand, meanwhile, but did need to buy a few more mugs and bowls so I had enough to last 'til the next wash ;)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 15:45 »
Haven't had one for ten years and we keep on top of the washing up, even with the sprog. Saves on electricity too.

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 16:04 »
Never had one always share with Er indoors one washes the other dries unless there is footy on then I’ll do the lot.

Was staying with a family in America, got up in the morning to lots of washing up so did by hand. When the family got up they pointed out the dishwasher.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 17:33 »
There’s 2 of us & ours goes on daily,sometimes twice😱, even if either of us were on our own we would still use one to it’s full potential. I’m not sure it does save electricity if you rinsed,washed & dried the same as the machine & the pots are certainly cleaner..well more so than if hubby washed up lol. He thinks just really hot water is enough & a bit of a swish with the brush.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 18:39 »
It's held together with gaffa tape and a prayer but has finally given up the ghost today. I'm pretty sure it's the re circulation pump which is just over £100 delivered.

Yes, you're  probably right about it being the pump.  IT's what happened to our dishwasher, so Worzel bought a new £100 pump to fit himself.

But much cursing and grunting later, trying to remove the old pump... We bought a new dishwasher  :ohmy:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 19:33 »
Thee needs to get a magic one like mine, you put dirty pots int kitchen and they wash, dry and puts them away!
Bit like the magic laundry basket I have, put your dirty clothes and a few days later they are hanging up perfect.

I love this modern technology
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 19:54 »
Thee needs to get a magic one like mine, you put dirty pots int kitchen and they wash, dry and puts them away!
Bit like the magic laundry basket I have, put your dirty clothes and a few days later they are hanging up perfect.

I bet you've even got a magic chef/waiter so that when you're hungry you sit at the table and the food appears in front of you. as if by magic.  My husband's got one of these too!  I think it came as one of a pair, and I got the other one that fixes broken stuff and does odd jobs around the house without me doing anything at all.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 20:20 »
Thee needs to get a magic one like mine...

Unfortunately Aidy the magic ones are out of my price range.

Mine only goes on once a week or so for a full wash, I either have not enough to justify putting it on or I need the saucepan I used last night and end up taking it out and washing it by hand anyway.  I really appreciate it when it's filled and everything comes out clean without me sploshing water everywhere or creating the leaning tower of pans on the draining board. Not to mention everything has to be dried and put away because of the mice.

On the other hand , 1 dishwasher = 20 new apple trees  :ohmy:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 20:31 »

I bet you've even got a magic chef/waiter so that when you're hungry you sit at the table and the food appears in front of you. as if by magic.  My husband's got one of these too!  I think it came as one of a pair, and I got the other one that fixes broken stuff and does odd jobs around the house without me doing anything at all.
Sadly nope not got one of those magic chefs, my wife has one of those she keeps to herself!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 20:41 »
And dishwashers are great for washing the jars you need for all those jams and chutneys

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 14:08 »
I absolutely hate washing up and wouldn't be without my little table-top one.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 14:25 »
When you live on your own and cook for yourself you soon learn how to minimise the amount of washing up you create (nearly everything I regularly use lives on the sink drainers or cutlery drainer, so no tea towelling and virtually no putting away.  :)

I'd have to change my habits if I had a dishwasher which would probably mean extra 'work' overall.  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrs bouquet

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 15:54 »
Poor you  Lardy, its one thing after another.   I have a dishwasher, and now there is only me I just keep on filling it up until its full, usually take a week or so.  I only use 1 saucepan so I wash that.  That's veg, potatoes in one pan. 
Its a personal thing really and your choice, but I do love those squeaky clean plates etc.  :)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 56 queries.