New to keeping chickens, advice on purchase and home.

• 15 Replies
Hello

My wife really wants some chickens as she wants to have free range eggs.

And as i thought it is her birthday in Sept i would buy her a chicken run and some birds.

Id like some advice on what i should go for.

Basically we live in an area in the country which is very wet and damp a lot of the year, and i am worried that this isnt the ideal place for chickens.

We have a large garden of 1/2 an acre, with a large veggie plot, and a sheltered area with trees.

I have been looking at the following run/home

http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/pet-and-equestian-products/hen-coop-mini

The 4ft version with the 3ft run as this will be a bit more durable against the wet and damp.

Also we have a labrador pup who is very well behaved, but from experience do the two go together ok as long as she is introduced to them properly.

Also which species of hen would suit a first timer, and how many ladies should I go for.

Complete novice, but my wife is very environmentally concious so want to do it properly and give some hens a home too if i can.

Id appreciate your help

Regards

PS
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:22 by pswildlifephotography »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New to keeping chickens, advice on purchase and home.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:34 »
personally I would get more than one run extension as I don't think they are big enough. The coups made from recycled plastic are great though and easy to clean and get rid of mites etc.
Where abouts in the country are you?
As for breeds I started off with ones that I just thought looked pretty. It all depends on what you want them for - do you want egg laying machines that will lay like mad for 2 years and then drop off rapidly - in which case go for something like an amberlink, warren etc or do you want something that will lay perhaps 4 eggs a week but will lay for many years - in which case go for a pure breed. All chickens will lay roughly the same amount of eggs but some pop them out quicker than others  :lol:
Then you have to think what colour shells do you want - brown, white, tinted white, blue, blue green, olive, pinky plum, dark brown etc.
Plus then there is large fowl or their bantam equivelent or even a true bantam where there is no large version.
Decisions, decisions  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:34 »
Welcome to the forums :)

That looks very good for a rainy area. It would also be very good agains red mite - quite easy to get rid of them if you have them visit you. 

I'd not bother with the run though, far too small to be of any use.  You could build a far better one yourself.

I'd go for egg laying hybrids myself - no problem with broody hens then and lots of delicious eggs.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:46 »
Thanks for the prompt replies.

I really dont want to have an egg laying machine, as long as we have a few eggs a week and the hens had a good life for many years then we would be happy.

We have a friend and his wife who have hens, and they give us eggs occaisionally and they are the yellowest most tastiest scrambled egg I have ever experienced.

My wife just likes the idea of giving some hens a good home, and us having nice eggs on a Sunday morning, without lining the pockets of Tesco who cant be bothered to stock decent quality local free range eggs.

I can build a run for them no problem, but as we have lots of foxes around i am worried about security for them.

Thanks for reading.

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 11:57 »
If you build a run that has not got to be moved, bury the wire mesh that you make the run from into the ground and have a piece going out horizontaly so that the foxes cannot dig underneath to get to the chickens.
The coup looks fine and it will be easy to clean.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:20 »
those coups are great - I have been looking at the larger versions as they house 20 birds with ease (will need 2 or 3) and they look better in the flesh than on photos  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 13:03 »
Hybrids are not necessarily egg laying machines.

Mine are 3 and 5 years old.  They live the life of Riley and lay enough delicious dark yolked eggs for the two of us and a few to give to the neighbours occasionally.  They are beautiful and funny creatures too :)   The biggest bonus is - no broody hens to contend with.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 19:32 »
Personally, I really like the Rhode Island Reds - a classic red hen, good layers, pretty tough and not flighty. I love my RIR so I must admit I'm just a wee bit biased! :D

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 19:33 »
Meant to say too, if you build a run include a mesh 'roof' so Foxy can't jump in.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 19:55 »
Have a read around tbe internet and see what type of hen would suit you.  Here's some starters:

http://www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com/types_of_chickens.html

http://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/breeds.php?breed_type=Chickens

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 07:44 »
Have a read around tbe internet and see what type of hen would suit you.  Here's some starters:

http://www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com/types_of_chickens.html

http://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/breeds.php?breed_type=Chickens

Aunt Sally
The first link is really good and there is a whole lot more on the site maybe worth a stickie
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 08:57 »
Yes CE, it's a permaculture site and I'll add it to the GYO stickies list :)

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 10:04 »
Thanks for all your comments.

Ive gone for the recycled one and will go to the fencing suppliers and make a foxy proof run too.

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 11:31 »
Thanks for all your comments.

Ive gone for the recycled one and will go to the fencing suppliers and make a foxy proof run too.

Before you go for a fixed run with so much land available seriously consider an alternating run system.  Chx will soon trash a run if kept ton it permanently and worms and diseases can build up and your grass will not have a chance to recover unless you rest it.  If you possibly can use a two run rotation system with one resting while another is being used.  A really good way to do this is to use an electric net and energiser which not only keeps the chx in but most importantly keeps the foxes out.  A 50m net can be folded into a two run figure of eight and you can move the house between the two on a three or 6 month rotation.   Your hens will have lots of space and utilise the space you have available rather than be cooped up in a fixed cage.  Permanent runs are fine if you keep chx in the back garden and space is limited but they require careful management and constant cleaning.  When you have lots of space it's a shame not to take advantage of it.

See these posts
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=61242.msg711486#msg711486
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=56897.msg670192#msg670192
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=61068.msg709524#msg709524

HF
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 00:58 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 12:22 »
There's some excellent advice here and you seem to have your head screwed on as regards what you want and how you wish to keep the chooks - I love that coop, I've not seen it before!

Fox-proofing is a must, as has been said already, and don't underestimate how much space your girls will need to be happy and fulfilled; I made a large enclosed run on my allotment and to be honest, I now have two too many girls and am having to build ANOTHER!

They're addictive and great to be with - your wife will go potty for them, I'm sure!

Oh, and welcome!!!  :)

xx
Local bye laws and legalities of keeping chickens at home

Started by Planner on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 00:41
by babe
xx
Advice please on keeping ducks and chickens??

Started by flangey on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 08:21
by flangey
xx
Thinking of keeping chickens... advice sought

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 22:29
by peggyprice
xx
Scottish chicken keeping at home info pls

Started by ecoconvert on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 10:57
by henpecked

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 40 queries.