my chook put me in hospital :)

• 14 Replies

Dannii

« on: July 02, 2008, 17:59 »
Hiya!

I can just about access my computer again after my traumatic ordeal last night :O) I went out to give my girls their handful of grain before bed and my chook (still hadn't thought of a name for her) came and jumped up on my shoulder and was being very cute so I was walking around cleaning coop etc whilst she was still up there she decided my eye looked like a nice shiny delight and PECKED it OUCH! I rang NHS direct they said I needed to go to A&E I was not impressed! cut a long story short all is well I think just will take some time to heal chook has taken a section of top layer of my eye out in the centre where pupil iris etc is. Obviously it's very sore but should all be fine!

Wondered if anyone elses chooks have put them in hospital!!?! It definitely gave all the A&E staff a laugh anyway! I cant believe the only time I have needed to go to hospital (bar having my son) was due to a CHICKEN PECKING MY EYE!! HOW RIDICULOUS!!!

ok...you can all stop laughing now :o)

Dannii

PS. Thinking of naming her Iris now...any more name suggestions welcome :D

Dannii

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 18:01 »
forgot to add I got home at 2.30 am! by that point I had thought of SO many ways of cooking her!! : :lol:

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 18:12 »
I'm sure we are not laughing, though it is therapeutic for you to have a laugh about it. That could have been really nasty. I hope it is better soon and is not too painful. I often feel rather vulnerable when one of my hens is close to my face but have got away with it so far.
When I see oiled birds being cleaned up on the news I often wonder how often the helpers get pecked. Some of those beaks look very long and sharp. I think they should wear eye protection.

Jellyhead

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 18:19 »
Eye think Iris is a great name :lol:  :lol: I hope you have given her lashings of cuddles today, it would be a shame to close the lid on her affection just cos she got too close :wink:I am sure if you tell her where she went wrong she will become a star pupil.
Sorry I have such a warped sense of humour. I am sure you are sort of seeing the funny side of it all now. I was stupid enough to cut the cornea of my eye TWICE :shock:  :shock: once with a wallpaper scraper and secondly with grass strimmings :roll: I would much rather have to admit that one of me chooks was getting up close and personal.
Hope youre feeling better anyway.
XXX
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

mumsy

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 18:25 »
Sounds like the cataract op my Mum has just had :D

Sorry :oops:  Hope you are feeling better....

Vember

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 18:46 »
That sounds nasty, not keen on anything to do with eyes

Hope it's not too painful

Love the name Jelly picked very apt  :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 20:23 »
I've often seen them squaring up to my eyeline and wondered if they would peck but since I'm a speccy 4 eyes, I can relax a bit. Unless they pinch the glasses first.  :?

Hope you soon recover.  :pirat:

Rob  8)

Dannii

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 20:27 »
hehehe thankyou....particularly Jelly, I did find it all very funny til I had to wait in A&E for so long, it's also very convenient as it was my sons 3rd birthday party (pirate themed) so there are lots of spare pirate patches lying about the house :D

I think I'll stick with Iris then, the little devil! She was still looking at my eyes when I just went in to clean their house, obviously I was VERY wary this time round!

x

Porffor

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 20:47 »
Iris is very apt!
What a nightmare though, could have been so much worse. Seriously hope you don't need a patch for too long. ((Hugs))
And totally appreciate the A&E waiting times.. nightmare :(

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 21:06 »
Oh NO! And now it will be shiny AND red and even more tempting :lol:  Run away, run away.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Jellyhead

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 21:18 »
Oddly enough the only time A & E were quick was when I had the eye problems :roll: They said they don't take chances with eyes. With everything else, maybe, but not eyes :D One of Marthas chicks had a thing about eyes. From when she was a couple of days old she used to peck at Marthas eyes :? it used to worry me more than Martha, but the little hellion used to really go for it, she grew out of it fortunately.
Anyway, hope you're feeling better
XX

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 21:25 »
So has anyone else had any poultry/animal related injuries?

Jellyhead

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 21:31 »
Only when one of my cats fell in the bath :oops:  :oops:  :oops: I wasnt in it, but it hadnt emptied. Sam fell in, I pulled him out toot sweet at which point he dug all his claws on one paw into my arm, turned round and jumped straight back in :shock: I hoiked him out again, he dried off lovely and shiny, and stayed away from the bathroom for a few days. Meanwhile, I cleaned my arm but the following morning it ballooned up and I had to go to St. Thomases to get it sorted :? B****y cat :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 21:43 »
I managed to completely addle my brains being thrown from a horse. Spent a night in A and E waiting to have my head scanned in the morning but was too confused and freaked out by waking up in a bed next door to my boss's secretary so I lied to be let out! Went back to work as decided that if they (AED) found out I hadn't they would find out and make me come back to hospital (because they don't have enough patients already!).
Got sent home as wasn't much use with the double vision and confusion!

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 23:56 »
sorry to hear about your eye  :shock:

My hen pecked my lip the other day. She just jumped up and pecked it  :roll: Ouch

xx
Hospital/isolation coop

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 14:23
by kegs
xx
how to plan for unexpected hospital visit.

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 11:08
by ManicMum
xx
Which plastic house to buy as a hospital/quarantine/red mite decant wing?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 08:15
by Casey76
xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 39 queries.