Why do people do it?

• 12 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Why do people do it?
« on: September 18, 2017, 18:18 »
I've had my oversized plot since March, and whilst I have had some lovely crops, I am still digging up a huge amount of glass, some which had been buried frame and all, but invariably breaks when I try to get it out. Why on earth do people bury stuff? You can't grow much on top except weeds. Its getting me down now as our nearest tip is the other side of the city and we aren't a council allotment so its up to me to get rid! I just don't understand why they don't heap it in a corner or something.  >:( :mad:

engineer

• Experienced Member
Re: Why do people do it?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 18:27 »
Had the same problem with my plot, i once came across an area where the glass was 9 sheets thick and, yes, it shattered when i tried to dig it out. Many small pieces have been found since, hence i don't handle soil with my bare hands, gloves only! The reason it was done was to deter vermin from finding a way to the food store, usually chickens!

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 18:47 »
It never ceases to amaze me what people report on here they find. Thankfully mine haven't been that bad, on my first plot there was lots of buried nylon netting which was a pain but I think that was the man from the council who just pushed over some raised beds complete with netting then scraped soil over to level it. It does amaze me that current plot holder accumulate so much rubbish each year when we have the annual skip. Why do they take it there in the first place, if they don't use it, take it back home & bin it. I always have a rubbish bag  on the go in the shed & take it home every other week or so, same with the stones I dig out, home & bin
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 18:53 »
We sometimes have a skip on our site.
Once there was a toilet in it.
It is always full before I get there so I take my rubbish home a bagful at a time and put it in the bin.

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 18:56 »
The strangest thing i have come across was a flower pot holder from a cemetary, this was found whilst digging a posthole.  :nowink:

LILLILEAF

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 05:41 »
We have been at this present address for nearly 3yrs,there is no end of glass on our whole area,not just on the veg plot :mad:,but i think alot of this was before dustbin men.
I have even dug uo a piece of metal guttering,and a very old door off a vintage range cooker,which were used before electric and gas ovens came along.
One day i may find my fortune  :lol:.

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:41 »
We have had lots and lots of glass too, along with bricks and huge quantities of rusty nails.  We have found shoes, lots of teaspoons, old tools, vintage milk bottles, a saucepan and so on.  Biggest find was an old boiler.  I planted nasturtiums in that, it looked really good, then somebody (another plotholder with a key we think, you couldn't lift it over the fence) stole it - presumably for scrap.

We have had our first plot for 7 years and the second plot for about 15 months.  Between the 2 of them, we must have taken at least 100 bags of rubble to the tip and we still have a third of a plot to go!

LosPollosHermanos

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 17:23 »
I think that attitudes were just different in the past. Thankfully I think we moved on but you do find some strange things when you're doing allotment archeology. One of our members ended up with a plot that turned out to have 6 layers of carpet sandwiched by a couple of inches of soil between each layer. I think he should have got a medal for clearing that one up. I often help out clearing plots and once tucked away in the corner of a plot behind an enormous shed we found a complete burger bar trailer! How they got it there we'll never figure  out.

Part of our site used to be a military firing range and once one of the members found on old ammunition token from an armoury more than 60 miles away, that find actually ended up in a museum.

The absolute worst plot has to be one where way back when they'd dug a whole plot out with a digger down at least 6 feet deep and it had been used as an illegal tip for 30 years. It took a team of us 2 years working part time to clear enough glass out to get a few inches of clear soil to get a wildlife garden going on that one as I don't think we'll ever be able to afford to clear it up for food growing. It does feel like some sort of violation of the land but people really did look at allotments differently a few decades ago.

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 18:35 »
Don`t know why they do it...but they do..see the pic in a thread i started a few threads down, "latest unearthing from the allotment of doom"
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

archibtbm

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 12:09 »
Metal, glass and asbestos, really does my head in.  our council will arrange to dispose of asbestos if they are notified or we can double wrap it and drop it at the tip.   

Gellideg

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 16:47 »
Well perhaps all the glass,spoons,netting,Cemetry urns etc etc were planted by inexperienced first time plot owners with the vague idea that they might grow and multiply!!!
Cannot think of any other stupid reason for it,as it would only cause them more grief next season.

Sorry to be flippant.It would drive me bonkers,and it would raise my blood pressure to the point for me to " blow a fuse"     John

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 10:54 »
A poor new plotter near me punctured his leg when walking down the lotty path to his car with a double bagged piece of glass for the tip. He was badly cut and bleeding profusely and had to attend hospital.  Some careless, thoughtless folks about  :(

JMCKG

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 17:37 »
On our Allotments up to not so long ago people put glass under/around huts & greemhouses to deter rats. I know,
madness

xx
why do people bother?

Started by lisa80 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 21:10
by lisa80
xx
Book People

Started by mum2many on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 08, 2007, 18:10
by fluffypebble
xx
How do people get on using nemaslug?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2023, 14:40
by Aunt Sally
xx
Net time again people

Started by hightide on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 10:26
by slow_worm

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 34 queries.