Lifting Potatoes

• 12 Replies

freefolk

• Experienced Member
Lifting Potatoes
« on: July 23, 2017, 11:13 »
We have today lifted our first Maris Piper spuds which were planted on 3 May, and they are a decent size.  My question is, there were some very small spuds still attached to the tuber - so can I just re-plant them and let them grow on?  Thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Lifting Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 08:16 »
You always get a few tiny spuds.  I'm not sure they will do much if you replant, but you could give it a go.   

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:32 »
I've never had any luck replanting like that, but instead have managed to gentle pull out some large tubers without too much disturbance, and then the plant has continued to grow for a little while, especially in dampish conditions, and with varieties that are not yellowing off at the end of their natural lives
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

freefolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 20:05 »
You always get a few tiny spuds.  I'm not sure they will do much if you replant, but you could give it a go.
when i said re-plant, i meant just put the whole plant back in the ground,  with the tiny spuds still attached. Sorry if i was not being clear on that point!😐😐

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 22:42 »
Maris Piper is a maincrop potato and ideally should be given 18-20 weeks before lifting. Planting on May 3rd they would not normally be ready till late September. Leave them in the ground and the little ones will turn into big ones !

freefolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 06:59 »
Maris Piper is a maincrop potato and ideally should be given 18-20 weeks before lifting. Planting on May 3rd they would not normally be ready till late September. Leave them in the ground and the little ones will turn into big ones !
OK, thank you, I will leave them to continue growing.  The joys of being a newbie! :nowink: :nowink:

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 21:17 »
Not pulling my maincrops for another six or seven weeks yet, hoping for some good tubers.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 10:59 »
we wait for the top growth to die back before lifting the mains.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 13:46 »
OK, thank you, I will leave them to continue growing.  The joys of being a newbie! :nowink: :nowink:

We're all newbies really, every year is different & we all started out trying & erroring 😊, plus asking loads of questions
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 14:58 »
ive just lifted my maris piper spuds and found them very holed. is there anything you can add to soil to combat this for next year

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 19:55 »
ive just lifted my maris piper spuds and found them very holed. is there anything you can add to soil to combat this for next year

It could be wireworms or slugs.  There is a bit on wireworms here.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/potatoes/wireworm-potatoes-control/

If it is slugs, there are varieties which are more slug resistant.   I usually have a furtle of any maincrops pretty early to check, as my soil is heavy and slugs can be a problem. 

victoria park

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 18:57 »
The worst sort of weather with more to come. Am thinking my 18 week old King Edwards will have to have their dodgy tops cut tomorrow. Always difficult for me to tell the start of possible blight and don't want to take the risk. I'm an early potato person at heart.  Could do with another couple of weeks at least I guess, but one I lifted yesterday was a great crop, even though it still had some marbles still to grow.
My Desirees will be ready now even though their greens are looking healthier than the King Edwards.

Glad my outdoor tomatoes are Crimson crush.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 08:03 »
We had the same sort of debate when Freefolk asked about main crop spuds before.  You gamble between leaving them in and risking blight\slugs\rats or lift them and enjoy what you did get.

I'm through the Charlottes and yesterday lifted another few Kestrel.  I have about 6 plants of these left and they are coming out pretty large now, but that's fine.  Kestrel are a good second early or early main.  There are a few small ones, but I'll use them together in something like a curry.

My mains are Kifli and Sarpo Axona.  They are looking very strong and healthy and are supposed to be blight resistant, so fingers crossed.

xx
Lifting New Potatoes

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 19:04
by digalotty
xx
Lifting Potatoes

Started by Marston on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 19:30
by DD.
xx
Lifting earlies potatoes

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 22:05
by philsmith1967
xx
Lifting Maincrop Potatoes

Started by Stevens706 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2006, 18:02
by Heather_S

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 37 queries.