Rotovators

• 16 Replies

chillimummy

Rotovators
« on: May 02, 2017, 19:05 »
After taking over another half plot last November making a full plot, my OH promised faithfully that he would help me  ;)
So far he has but he is now thinking about a rotovator.
Last year we borrowed my plot neighbours and it made the soil so much more managable.
Digging plot today, some of the soil was like rock  ;)
Have had a look at a few on line and they are not as expensive as I initially thought.
Wondered what different people have?
Don't need something large and on bit of a budget too. My plot neighbour didn't keep hers in the shed as our sheds have been broken into few times so need something that fits in boot of car.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Rotovators
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 21:01 »
I recently bought one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/mountfield-211360043-m13-36cm-100cc-4-stroke-rotary-tiller-1500w/21143 and it does the job very well. It's nice that it's four stroke, so no messing about with oil/petrol mix and it's beefy enough to handle fairly hard clay soil.

There was a patch of undug grassy bit at the ends of two beds. I'd been meaning to turn it into a flower bed for a while but never had the time, seeing as it was going to be fairly hard work. I took the rotovator to it and was done in 30 mins. It wasn't perfect but it was good enough to plant into, which was all I needed.

It's quite weighty - it could do with a handle at the front to help lug it around, but it's not too bad. It doesn't fit in the car unless you loosen the bolts on the handles. Other than those two downsides, it's great.

I looked at 2nd hand tillers but they were typically reaching into the £150 range so it seemed sensible to go that bit higher and buy new.

digger1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 22:38 »
Check out the Mantis Tiller it's a bit more expensive but the Handles fold down and it is lightweight and easy to carry will go into the boot of a hatchback car.

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:44 »
I have a mantis tiller and can highly recommend it.  However, it is fine for earth that has already been dug over, but it struggles with baked clay and large clumps of dug over hard clay.  I'm thinking of getting something bigger to use for winter digging and Spring prep, and would also welcome any suggestions.  I prefer four stroke to avoid all the faffing about mixing oil and petrol, electric start would be a dream too, as pull cords can break!

chillimummy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:06 »
Thanks all.
Have just ordered a mantis tiller after checking for ages for the best price  :)
Happy with this and did borrow one from plot neighbour last year and was fine to use.
Expensive thing to buy new but didn't really want to buy second hand.
Now I have a full plot then I think this will make things more managable and plot will carry on being a pleasure rather than a chore  :)
Can borrow one from neighbour but would rather have my own so not relying on anyone.
This should fit in boot of car too as would never leave it in shed.
Excited about having this and think it will encourage OH to come to plot.
Still will dig and weed first as I enjoy this! Will use it to break up the soil more than anything.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 10:46 »
Yay! Great news chillimummy - hopefully it will help you get back on track (and some much needed help) :)

digger1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 11:40 »
A Mantis fits into a hatchback  car with the Handles folded down.

chillimummy

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 13:51 »
Thanks.
Glad it will fit in my car.
Just been to plot today digging and weeding and the soil is so difficult as been so dry. Don't think I would be able to sow my seeds without difficulty because of the texture of the soil. Hoping to have it by the weekend  :)     

jezza

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 22:56 »
hello if you only need to rotavate once a year have you considered hiring one most hire shops have engine over tine (merrytiller)type or rear rotor  they usually deliver for a small fee and you wouldn't hve maintainance costs or storage problems   jezza

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 23:04 »
My neighbours have a little Mantis cultivator, and it works ok as their plot is spotless. I bought a used Howard Bantam off ebay, and that worked fine but am having problems with it. Good thing is it powers itself, bad thing is it weighs a ton so can't put it in the car..

The ones from Hire shops are usually the Camon C8's which are heavy duty things (unless it's a smaller front tined one which can run away with you!

I've just seen an add on that fits onto a straight shaft brushcutter which looks interesting. It a row of tree tines that cultivates smaller areas in and around plants - although that's getting a bit lazy lol
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

jezza

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 23:12 »
hi my neighbours just given his allotment up he has 2 rotavators he doesn't need   Howard 350 and a Mountfield manor   pm me for more info   jezza

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 23:36 »
hi my neighbours just given his allotment up he has 2 rotavators he doesn't need   Howard 350 and a Mountfield manor   pm me for more info   jezza

Howard 350's look great! That's what I could do with lol

chillimummy

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 11:37 »
Got my mantis tiller other week and have started rotovating and it makes a huge difference.
Thanks Jezza for message anyway.

Digger the Dog

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 13:55 »

Not sure how to PM on this forum - I'm interested in the Howard and also the Mountfield Manor if it is the driven wheel / rear tine model

Perhaps you could PM me and I'll reply to that - (probably just missing the linl for the PM system)

Edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 14:10 by New shoot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 14:13 »

Not sure how to PM on this forum - I'm interested in the Howard and also the Mountfield Manor if it is the driven wheel / rear tine model

Perhaps you could PM me and I'll reply to that - (probably just missing the linl for the PM system)

You are a few posts short for the pm system Digger, but I have added you so Jezza can pm you.  Alternatively, if you log out and log in again you should see the My Messages title at the top of the page, so you can PM him :)

xx
Rotovators

Started by Oliveview on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post December 23, 2015, 21:06
by jezza
xx
Rotovators

Started by pipfit on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 14:28
by smud6ie
xx
Rotovators

Started by pipfit on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post October 18, 2009, 19:15
by pipfit
xx
Norlett rotovators

Started by oldfentiger on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 06:23
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 36 queries.