vegetable growing book

• 13 Replies

davidcallan

vegetable growing book
« on: March 23, 2017, 10:49 »
I consider the book by Dr G. Hessayon  entitled the The New Vegetable and Herb Expert the best book on growing vegetables. According to the blurb on my old copy, it is also the best selling vegetable growing book. Does anyone know why it is out of print? It is not in the bookshelves in the shops and it is not available on Amazon (apart form second hand copies at ridiculous prices such as £70). I am puzzled.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: vegetable growing book
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 11:23 »
Having taken that title myself (best selling gardening book) for a bit, not greatly pleased to read your post :)

More seriously, it's a real mystery to me. I expect it's being re-printed in Italy and so out of stock. Probably it will come back into stock soon.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 11:57 »
I also read that article and bought off Amazon £2.50 it was  best thing I bought for the compost heap!! talk about over hyping yourself.

A as a newbie it was not helpful at all, already had John Harrison Vedge growing month by month and the essential allotment guide an went straight back to that it was brill I could read month by month what I should be doing.
:D I garden therefore I am

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 12:12 »
It may be the best selling book because it has been sold over soooo many years, but IMO much of the advice is out of date, so I don't recommend it any more.

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 21:04 »
Not wishing to upset John, but the volume I got back to time and again is Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom.   I use lots of books, including John's, but this one is stuffed full of useful information.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 21:34 »
I bought Joy's book a while back , while it covers a lot,  I refer to John's books and also an oldish copy of Alan T's The Allotment Gardeners Handbook. These are clear and straight to the point.  I feel that Joy's book would have been easier to use if it were hardback and larger format which would probably attract a higher cover price.

It's been a while since I referenced the 'Expert' books. Have not seen the edition referred to at the start of this thread so unable to comment.   
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Swing Swang

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 07:44 »
I'm a fan of Joy's book too and like the small, non-glossy, format. My main gripe is that the glued binding isn't up to the job and the pages are all falling out. Would like to see it published in a proper stitched binding with a soft cover in 8vo size but with the black and white format retained.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 11:14 »
Not wishing to upset John, but the volume I got back to time and again is Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom.   I use lots of books, including John's, but this one is stuffed full of useful information.
Don't worry, it would be a sad thing indeed if mine was the only book in the gardening section Although I would be immensely rich!
Joy Larkom is high on my list too. My goto book, apart from my own which I do refer to when memory fails, is Grow Your Own Fruit & Vegetables by Lawrence D Hills. It's 1972 so much is outdated now but his writing style and common sense shines through. I actually met him back in 1976 - lovely person.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 21:47 »
I have the Lawrence D Hills book.  Great read and the person comes to you through the writing...if that makes any sense.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 01:00 »
I have the Lawrence D Hills book.  Great read and the person comes to you through the writing...if that makes any sense.
That makes a lot of sense to me, totally understand and agree :)

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 19:49 »
I like Harry Dodson's Practical Kitchen Garden. Again it's quite old as it was written in 1992 but he talks a lot of sense. I also like Joy Larkcom's book.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 20:28 »
Medwyn Williams (veg. grower with all the Chelsea gold medals) told me he'd met Harry Dodson and he was a really knowledgeable grower. He must have been good to impress Medwyn.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 10:57 »
I have John's book (which I bought) and Joy Larkcom's book (a present) . Both are great.  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 18:57 »
And the best book for beginners is....

MegsVeg.jpg

xx
vegetable growing in spain

Started by Clodagh & Dick on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 09:17
by Biscombe
xx
re Newbie to vegetable growing

Started by dadshelper on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 18:26
by dadshelper
xx
Growing squash/pumpkins with John's book.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 02:27
by chriscross1966
xx
Vegetable Growing and Vehicle Pollution!

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2019, 21:26
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 36 queries.