What's this?

• 19 Replies

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: What's this?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 13:57 »
I'd say bindweed too. Couch always seems to lead back to a nearby clump....bindweed root just seems to appear out of nowhere!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 22:57 »
Too thick for couch grass.

At this time of year, I would not rule out ground elder.  Bindweed roots often appear slightly later.

Have you got lots of small, low growing leaves showing through the soil?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 11:06 »
I'm with Yorkie, look like Ground Elder to me. Blummin stuff is everywhere on my plot  :mad:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

gobs

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 00:35 »
You answered your own question:

Any ideas what these belong to? Am currently weeding around the veg garden and keep finding these in the soil. They don't appear to be attached to stems or foliage, but are very brittle, creamy coloured "roots" or "runners"?? The area where I'm digging had a lot of nettles previously, but they don't look like the nettle roots, which are much darker yellow and more fibrous. There are other annual and perennial weeds in the vicinity, (dandelion, thistles, bindweed, dock and couch grass) plus an old raspberry patch of Autumn fruiting variety.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 22:59 »
Yes, bindweed. Get as much of it out now as you possibly can and it'll be so much easier to get on top of later.
I don't really look like my avatar.

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 37 queries.