Passata quantities...

• 27 Replies

Growster...

Passata quantities...
« on: January 11, 2017, 19:32 »
We make gallons of the stuff each year, and I'm coming round to the realisation that less is better than too much on one plate...

It's some time since we had a proper Italian dish, served up by people who actually understand the ways and wherefores of good Italian cuisine, but I really have forgotten how much to use on a regular, smallish pasta plate - any sort, ravioli, tagliatelle; you name it!

Sad really, as Mrs Growster is a dab hand at preparation, but me being a bit lumpen, I tend to use the lot...

...and it's really too much...

Any clues please...?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Passata quantities...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 20:12 »
what size jars do you use to preserve your passata?
I use 375ml jars and this will feed 3 people by the time it's cooked with onions etc as it thickens more while cooking (well mine does anyway  ;) )

You could use the rest of the jar as soup the next day  :)

If it's a pasta sauce you've preserved, rather than just sieved tomatoes, then I suggest an ice-cream scoop sized ladleful over the pasta, per person.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 20:13 by mumofstig »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 20:17 »
Also, if you drain the pasta a minute or 2 before it is quite ready and sling in the pan with the sauce, it will slurp a lot up.  The dish will be much drier than just pouring the sauce over the pasta, but still be full of tomato flavour :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 20:22 »
I forgot to say that a little of the starchy pasta water, added to the sauce, will also thicken it.

Ah! you do it the other way round NS

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 20:26 »
I bet we can agree on the final part though  ;)  Cheese makes everything better  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 20:32 »
Yes, unless it's pasta with tuna, then it's truly bleugh!

Swing Swang

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 21:14 »
If you season the passata with a little red bell pepper paste (about 20% salt) instead of salt when making tomato soup with passata it does some amazing things to the flavour - this could just keep you making the same quantities next year...(as well as growing more bell peppers)...

Recipe for bell pepper paste:
http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/massa-de-pimentao-portuguese-red-bell-pepper-paste

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 06:56 »
what size jars do you use to preserve your passata?
I use 375ml jars and this will feed 3 people by the time it's cooked with onions etc as it thickens more while cooking (well mine does anyway  ;) )

You could use the rest of the jar as soup the next day  :)

If it's a pasta sauce you've preserved, rather than just sieved tomatoes, then I suggest an ice-cream scoop sized ladleful over the pasta, per person.

It's all frozen in small plastic 5.5" x 4" envelopes, Mum, with some more seasoned than others. I'm finding a full one is a bit too much, especially after fresh onion is added.

Re your comment about quants, I still rather like the Tesco Value jar when I can't find any in the freezer in time (!), and use a third of a 440ml jar at a time, freezing the rest. So I maybe have answered my own question, but an ice-cream scoopful does sound about right!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 06:58 »
Also, if you drain the pasta a minute or 2 before it is quite ready and sling in the pan with the sauce, it will slurp a lot up.  The dish will be much drier than just pouring the sauce over the pasta, but still be full of tomato flavour :)

Like that, News! I do that with pesto, and have just remembered that I came across a few bags last week...

Didn't even think of mixing it all beforehand, but then Growsters need help most days!

:0)

As for the cheese bit, yup absolutely certainement (Parmigiano)!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:59 by Growster... »

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 07:03 »
If you season the passata with a little red bell pepper paste (about 20% salt) instead of salt when making tomato soup with passata it does some amazing things to the flavour - this could just keep you making the same quantities next year...(as well as growing more bell peppers)...

Recipe for bell pepper paste:
http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/massa-de-pimentao-portuguese-red-bell-pepper-paste

Ooooh thank you Swing! We're in Tesco this morning, and I'll root around!

(Just as an experiment, while watching TV last night, on a whim I used a spludge of Ketchup on some ricotta ravioli, and it wasn't half bad)!

It looks like I need to get hold of several of the freezer portions, and re-build them. I'd probably just cut the whole bag in half, and pop them back in before they melt!

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 22:23 »
How about freezing it in ice cube trays, then when frozen pop them out into poly bags then you could just get out as many as you need, or lay a sheet of cling film over a bun tray(12 holes or 6) fill up the bun holes with passata, open freeze then pop out & wrap in the cling, just pop out required amount- his is what we do with pizza topping, I bun hole is enough for a pizza for us both, with enough pizza for dinner one day & lunch the next
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 06:09 »
Thank you Snows! I like both those ideas!

(Need the ice tray for G and T but that's another issue)!

I have thought of taking all the bags (about twenty) out of the freezer, remixing them, and doing what you say, but can one refreeze under the circumstances? There may just be a bit of meat in the odd one...

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 09:39 »
I wouldn't risk refreezing, perhaps plans for this years harvest, plenty of time to buy new ice cube trays or more suitable sized containers
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:14 by snowdrops »

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 09:47 »
I wouldn't risk refereezing, perhaps plans for this years harvest, plenty of time to buy new ice cube trays or more suitable sized containers

Thanks, Snows!

Plans for next year being made as we type!

Swing Swang

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 20:20 »

Ooooh thank you Swing! We're in Tesco this morning, and I'll root around!

If you can get it in Tesco then let me know as I use a lot of this stuff - I either make it myself, bring back from abroad, or buy form a Portuguese deli

question
Passata

Started by Plot2B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 19:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
Passata and oil

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 17:21
by PeterP
xx
Passata

Started by Sparkyrog on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 15:26
by Trillium
xx
Passata recipe anyone?

Started by Yana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 19:04
by Yana

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 36 queries.