Onions from seed - 2017

• 63 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Onions from seed - 2017
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 09:13 »
Hopefully the greenhouse door will open later this morning, yesterday it was frozen shut OMG.

I need to bring some compost indoors to warm up, ready for sowing mine.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 11:37 »
My greenhouse door is frozen shut today as well.  It has rather put paid to my plans to have a good sort out in there today  ::)

Are you having a go with onions on your new plot ?  I know you have white rot problems on your existing one, but great that you got your extra space, so you can grow some different things  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 13:15 »
My greenhouse door is frozen shut today as well.  It has rather put paid to my plans to have a good sort out in there today  ::)

Are you having a go with onions on your new plot ?  I know you have white rot problems on your existing one, but great that you got your extra space, so you can grow some different things  :)

Only trouble is the need to not transfer onion rot to the new one on shoes & tools, how would one manage to prevent that? I've often wondered about it. We seem to have eelworm at my current site, never had it before I started there
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 14:07 »

Yes, the plan is to try onions on the new plot, fingers crossed.
Only trouble is the need to not transfer onion rot to the new one on shoes & tools, how would one manage to prevent that? I've often wondered about it. We seem to have eelworm at my current site, never had it before I started there
I suppose it's easy enough to use a different fork and trowel, on the new plot - changing shoes is probably asking too much, but as I don't walk on the beds it shouldn't be a problem.

arh

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 16:56 »
seeds sown!! :).arh

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 14:20 »
Had a sneaky peek at mine and they are starting to germinate.  I also sowed welsh onions on Boxing Day ('cos I had the seeds and I could) and they are germinating as well  :D

Watered them and then tucked everyone back up into their plastic bags.  We're off  :D

victoria park

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 20:55 »
Sowed Globo and Santero F1 yesterday. The propagator took an age to warm up. Globo seeds were excellent last year, Santero are new to see if they are properly mildew resistant. Some Red Baron also going in tomorrow as a first seed attempt to avoid some of the bolting.

Eblana

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 21:59 »
I have the fridge cleared of all leftovers from Christmas, the house cleaned and all the laundry done.  OH, son and daughter are all back to work tomorrow and I am home alone so I have just turned on the heated propagator and tomorrow will be spent out there sowing my onions and shallots ;) ;) ;)

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 17:38 »
8th & 9th January 2017
Have sown: 2 trays Ailsa Craig, 2 trays Sturon in the hope of getting some good size white onions come the summer. 
Have also sown: Garlic Chives, Spring onions and baby leeks. I'm not using a heated propagator but I have a very warm bathroom which is little used.  I'll let you know when something shows! 

First signs of life from first tray of Sturon sown on 8th showing yesterday (12 January). Nothing yet from the Ailsa Craig.
First sowing January 2017.jpg
Spring onions etc.jpg
Sturon onions.jpg
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:18 by mjg000 »

Eblana

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 09:25 »
Onions and shallots sown on 4th first signs of germination yesterday.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 11:28 »
Mine are up and at the crook neck stage.  They have graduated to the kitchen windowsill - its cooler and brighter in the kitchen  :)

AnneB

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 22:50 »
Still wondering whether to sow my onions now or wait until mid February.   I am away for 2 weeks from the end of January.  I could leave my son instructions for watering, but not guaranteed to be a success.   Will onions from seed come to anything in Yorkshire if sown mid Feb?

jambop

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 11:11 »
Gone onion mad for this year, I am growing five different varieties four from seed Golden Bear F1, Zebrune, red amposta and long red Florence as well as Trebons which will be bought as transplants at the market. I will be starting my seeds off probably mid February  for planting out in April be interesting to see how they get on. I am trying to get a good keeper. Last years onions have stored quite well but I always find that as soon as it get warmer, and it does do early down here, they will start to grow.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 12:16 »
Still wondering whether to sow my onions now or wait until mid February.   I am away for 2 weeks from the end of January.  I could leave my son instructions for watering, but not guaranteed to be a success.   Will onions from seed come to anything in Yorkshire if sown mid Feb?

Anne,  This website   http://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vegetable/onions/seed.php  suggests early February as a sowing date for seeds indoors and the end of March to sow outside, I believe people start theirs earlier to get the biggest possible onions don't they?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 13:10 »
John's advice says Feb as well

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/onions-growing/

The show growers (and those of us desperate to play with seeds) start earlier for bigger onions  :D

xx
Seed Circle 2017

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 10:21
by sunshineband
xx
onions going to seed,why?

Started by salmonking on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 18:50
by BabbyAnn
xx
onions from seed

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 22:22
by gobs
clip
onions from seed.. my way

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2018, 10:32
by jambop

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 37 queries.