Feather pecking.

• 4 Replies

Chas

Feather pecking.
« on: August 18, 2008, 13:56 »
Hello all, I realise this has probley been covered on previous postings but here we go again! We have 9 hens and Ted the cockerel, we have found that 2 of the hens are being pecked on their backs and tails, not by Ted but by other hens. Do we part the peckers or the pecked?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie. :(
Charlie

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feather pecking.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 14:35 »
Do they have sufficient space during the day Chas ? Do they have enough to do ?  They will peck if over crowded or bored !

Spray the pecked areas with Purple Spray (from horsey shops).

If you decide to separate the pecked hens make sure they can all see each other all day.

Chas

Feather pecking.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 14:46 »
Thanks Aunt Sally, they are actually free ranging in the day in about an acre of ground, it seems to happen at night when I put them in their house. They are in a house about 8ft long by about 6ft wide, their perches are 2ft wide by about 6ft long slatted so I don't think it's so much to do with room as bullying? What do you think? It would appear to have got worse since we introduced 2 new point of lays to the flock, but they aren't involved????????

Thanks for the advise.....

Charlie.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feather pecking.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 17:00 »
The two new hens would have upset the pecking order !  But you don't want these two girls killed before the pecking order gets sorted out !  Do you know which hens are doing the pecking ?  Separate them from the others for a while if you do.  They will be reintroduced lower down the order then.

There's plenty of room in their house.  You could perhaps try to make it darker so that they become quiet in there.  If there's too much light it could make them scrap if they can't get out.

Tell Ted to flex his muscles a bit more and sort them out  :wink:

Chas

Feather pecking.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 17:32 »
Thanks for all that Auntie, I'll try the tips...As for Ted he has been warned in the past to get his act together or he'll have a meeting with the oven!!!! Only joking he's far to beautiful for that.......... :)  :)  :)

Thanks again

Charlie

xx
feather pecking

Started by fourmoon on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 13:44
by carsmarco252
xx
Feather Pecking

Started by Miller on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 20:02
by coxyMFC
xx
feather pecking

Started by ken2 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 14:37
by chooksbury
xx
feather pecking

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 16:55
by Bodger

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 38 queries.