Tap for waterbutt

• 9 Replies

LILLILEAF

Tap for waterbutt
« on: May 03, 2017, 06:52 »
I have a 200litre barrel i need to convert into a waterbutt,what is the best type of tap to fit? :unsure:,and where to buy one?suggestions welcome please.

arh

Re: Tap for waterbutt
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 08:15 »
Lilli, I have just converted 4 blue plastic barrels (the type with only 2 inlets on the top,(screw-on/in used for concentrated food/orange juice etc.) at the top) into water butts, I obtained a standard water butt tap off of ebay, (type in water butt tap), they have a 26mm (approx) thread on them, I drilled a 25mm hole where I wanted the tap to be, filed a very slight chamfer on the tap thread, and a slight filing of the hole in the barrel, and gently screwed in (by hand), the tap, when it was half in, I smeared the remaining thread with Araldite, then screwed it in the rest of the way, making sure I stopped when the tap was vertical and the collar was surrounded by Araldite,(which I smoothed to a nice water-tight finish and left it alone for 24 hours),and did exactly the same for the barrel connecting pipe, (to connect 2 or more barrels together). Now I have 4 water butts without the large lid which can blow off,or allow debris in (+ 3 genuine butts). Either leave the screw on cap loose or drill a small hole in it, (5mm is plenty) to allow the air to escape when water goes in, if it is the second barrel. If it is a stand alone barrel, the inlet hole, (for the down-pipe connection was done the same way, this connector had the thread on the exterior, so I fitted it through the filler hole, (having made the hole slightly bigger than the thread of the connector), using a "mouse" to pull it through the hole, then put the nut on, not forgetting the rubber washer, but not using Araldite. If this makes sense. :D. arh.:)
p.s. if it's a wooden barrel, google "knock in barrel tap", these come with the instructions, (usually), and if it's a metal drum, (45 gall oil drum for example), do the same as for plastic, but be careful. the hole edge is sharp. And a "mouse" is a length of springy wire with a loop on the end, which electricians use to pull wires through conduit. But any springy wire, (fence wire?) will do.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:43 by arh »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:44 »
What detailed and helpful instructions arh. I have three of these barrels with the inlets on the top rather than a lid and was wondering how to convert them to butts to use inside the polytunnel, ideally to set up a drip irrigation system along one side.

Now I feel confident about tackling the taps at least!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

arh

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 13:19 »
Thank you Hun, just remember to put a chamfer on the tap, not too much though, and put a bit of pressure on the tap as you screw it in, the thread on the tap will wear down to fit the hole before the barrel will, the Araldite make it water-tight not the thread, but the thread makes a close seal, if you get my drift. arh.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 17:08 »
Your drift is got! Thank you again.

Just have to find a sensibly priced solar powered or battery powered timer for the gizmo now!

LILLILEAF

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 05:42 »
Amazing reply thank you so much,i will get the tap ordered and the job done.Lillileaf

arh

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 07:50 »
You are more than welcome Lillileaf. :)

wighty

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 20:43 »
My FIL had a waterbutt that needed a new tap of the nut and bolt type connection.  Nobody in the family had arms long enough to reach in to tighten it up.  I am the only member of the family( being a size 10 )who could fit inside the butt and hold on to the nut while they tightened up the bolt(or tap). Caused great hilarity.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 05:46 »
great reply i think i will be doing the same,my husband is laughing even as i type :lol: :lol:,the thought of my butt sticking out of the barrel,pardon the pun :lol:

noshed

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 12:37 »
The other alternative is not to bother with a tap and just link the butts together with a siphon, then just dip the watering can in where you need it
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 48 queries.