Wet chicken poo pellets

• 18 Replies

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
Wet chicken poo pellets
« on: January 08, 2012, 17:23 »
Hello  the lid of my tub of chicken manure pellets has obviously come off during the recent wind and rain and now the poo is all wet.  I have 3/4 tub full - what should I do with it?? Will it keep if I don't put it on the garden soon?? I don't want to waste it.  :tongue2:
 Would it OK to bung on the allotment - I just wonder if you can put too much on?
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Trillium

Re: Wet chicken poo pellets
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 17:26 »
Depends what you're growing in the areas you'd spread the poo on.

If possible, spread the poo on some wax paper, poly film, etc so its thin enough to dry. Once dry, you can crack it into small bits and store. Might be stinky for a while in the shed/garage or wherever, but cheaper than replacing the pellets.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 17:46 by Trillium »

gobs

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 17:32 »
ROFL.

Sorry, I thought it was only me this could happen to.

I can summarise as: yaks. :lol:

Blooming strong stuff. I just wanted to ask around about the usability of my compost I built it into. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 17:47 »
Not yaks, gobs  :D But the sweet smell of success   :lol:

gobs

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 17:51 »
Not yaks, gobs  :D But the sweet smell of success   :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So what do you reckon about this compost, where there is a whole potfull of them? :unsure:

gobs

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 18:13 »
Actually, we could possibly re-name this thread as: Why not to leave your pelleted chicken manure outdoors? ::)

A load of underestimated unpleasentness to be had.
 :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 21:18 »
If you seriously have a great whack of wet chicky poo pellets, get hold of a tarp or sheet of poly, and do the same as I suggested to Lulu, except yours will need a bit of peaked tent covering for air and keep it dry. I think spring might be a better time to try it.

gobs

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 22:35 »
If you seriously have a great whack of wet chicky poo pellets, get hold of a tarp or sheet of poly, and do the same as I suggested to Lulu, except yours will need a bit of peaked tent covering for air and keep it dry. I think spring might be a better time to try it.

I seriously had them, they are in compost now as said. Honest. What do you reckon to use of such compost, that was the question for real and serious. :)

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 02:54 »
Okay, now I understand what you were asking.  :D That compost will be particularly good for toms, onions and fruit crops. Also for sidedressing lettuces.

I use lots of chicken poo for my toms. True, they get lots of leafy growth, but that's easily limited by keeping leaves picked off below flower buds. You'll also get loads of toms. Last summer, off 15 plants, I got 3 bushels of toms, and still had loads left ripening on the vines. My area probably has more heat units than yours but you should still get a decent crop.

DD uses chicken pellets for his monster onions, so I'll be using more to sidedress mine. And fruit crops adore lots of chicken poo.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 09:02 »
Thanks, that's good.

It looks/feels much more serious than putting a few pellets here and there.

savbo

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 11:59 »
Am i right in thinking that OP Lulu still has her pellets in bucket rather than in compost? If drying isn't easy, would mixing a handful in a watering can and using it as liquid manure be an option?

I can see it would make an awful lot of liquid manure though...

bigben

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 12:37 »

Am i right in thinking that OP Lulu still has her pellets in bucket rather than in compost? If drying isn't easy, would mixing a handful in a watering can and using it as liquid manure be an option?

I can see it would make an awful lot of liquid manure though...

How about tipping the whole lot into a full water butt and using as a liquid feed?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 14:14 »
That happened to me with a big tub of BFB which had a cracked lid. I gave up on it and chucked it because it was growing penicillin :)

gobs

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 16:38 »
Guys, Trillium quite well grasped the situation in her first answer. I can't imagine much else to be done with it, if Lulu wants to use it through a long period of time. If it's wet, there are no pellets any more. You can smear it about. If it dries out, you can't do anything with it, it's a hard block.

Yes, Shoccky, I just forgot, when the skip was around... :lol:

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 22:07 »
Its all in the bucket still and the thought of scooping it out and laying it out to dry ----- well, can you get gas masks on ebay??? yucksy  :wacko:.  I do sometimes use it as a liquid feed but there really is too much.  However, just spotted the reply about fruit - could I give it to my raspberries and I know the blueberries like it?  I have quite a big raspberry bed (planted 21 canes at the beginning and they all took  :) )

Never thought about it drying in a block  - maybe I should keep in damp until a decision has been made or its going to be the biggest lump of **** I've ever seen.

xx
Chicken pellets.

Started by Digger Tom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 18:51
by Digger Tom
xx
Chicken pellets

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2020, 12:58
by JayG
xx
Chicken Pellets

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 15:23
by Flowerpower136
xx
Chicken pellets

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 19, 2017, 12:23
by New shoot

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 38 queries.