big problem (knot weed)

• 7 Replies

catweazle

• Experienced Member
big problem (knot weed)
« on: September 25, 2011, 21:22 »
right err...

its not on the allotments yet but its getting very close

our site is fairly small (20 plots) at the top of the site is a path that used to be single track road. at the other side of the path is waste ground that used to be more allotments. its here that the JKW is growing. the councill has been told multiple times and no action has been taken. it has now reached the edge of the path. i hopeing that the fact it was a road will slow it down as once it crosses the path its onto the plots.

as i have said the council don't want to know so what can be done?

many thanks CW

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: big problem (knot weed)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 22:21 »
We got rid of it by a licensed contractor injecting the stems with professional strength glyphosate in the spring.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rozalia

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 19:02 »
Got similar problem next to our private garden but have spoken to owners of derelict plot and we are going to spray with glyphosate late spring/early summer + keep a strip grassed and keep mowing it. My OH , a Scientist, reckons this will keep it at bay.  As its a notifiable weed surely you won't get into trouble if you spray it or keep it trimmed?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 19:58 »
If you can get rid of it rather than just keep it at bay, then I would do that.  Mortgages can be refused on houses with JK on their garden or boundary - it is potentially that much trouble.

WheyAye Man

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 20:24 »
I am led to believe, that if you cut JKW and bits are left on your mower, then that can drop off a regrow elsewhere. If this is right then mowing could indirectly spread it..! I have been involved with spraying JKW for some years on local sites, but even triple strength spray normally only keeps it a bay. Occasionally it does die off but more often is just knocked back. I have heard of injecting the stems and would be interested to know at what strength its injected. Think the environment agency may use this method?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 20:38 »
I suspect it was neat industrial strength in the syringe.  He waited till the stems were growing properly, then injected them and spray painted each one as soon as he'd injected it - otherwise one stem soon looks like another!

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 23:01 »
Some useful info on legal aspects of knotweed. I think the 'private  nuisance' section might be useful.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 17:45 »
Some useful info on legal aspects of knotweed. I think the 'private  nuisance' section might be useful.

I disagree.  Proof is required that the respondent deliberately and for his own purpose brought the JK onto the land and kept / collected it there.

xx
Severe weed problem

Started by argaric on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2007, 21:29
by fatbelly
xx
A problem with Weed Control Fabric

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2017, 07:54
by mumofstig
xx
Horsetail - Marestail Problem Weed Eradication

Started by Stevie P on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 17:55
by mushroom
xx
knickers in a knot!

Started by littlemisssunshine on Grow Your Own

77 Replies
Last post November 21, 2007, 00:14
by growmore

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 38 queries.