tomato feed

• 10 Replies

davep

tomato feed
« on: February 22, 2007, 17:03 »
hi y'all! okay,so we know tomato feed is for tomatoes,but what else likes a dose of the stuff?a friend told me to give it to my capsicums and  i wondered what else i could give it to.what have you used it on and what results did you get?thank you...
                                             dave

beansticks

tomato feed
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 17:07 »
My understanding of tomato feed is to encourage the production of flowers which then become fruit,so anything that flowers should be okay.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
tomato feed
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 17:27 »
Quote from: "beansticks"
My understanding of tomato feed is to encourage the production of flowers which then become fruit,so anything that flowers should be okay.

Not quite so. You start to apply tomato feed AFTER the first truss of flowers has set. It's there to feed the fruit, not flowers.

I use it on my cucumbers, but without a control sample I couldn't tell you if it's doing more harm than good!!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

muntjac

tomato feed
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 18:23 »
tomorite tomato type feeds have a higher propertion of magnesium sumat in it this encourages a burst inn he fruiting area , after that its basically a manure clone nitrogen phosporous and potash . this is just like giving them a massive injection of growth hormone , if you didnt use this stuff or anything else the toms wil be smaller and less on a truss , feedinfg gives better tomatos sizing on trusses , to amke your own feed up insteadof doing it with maxi grow or tomorite  start now and take a few good clumps of cow pats from the field or ya manure heap ,put these in water ina barrel/ butt stir well put a lid on it and let it cook for a couple months or so til ya ready for it  :wink:
still alive /............

davep

tomato feed
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 20:34 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Quote from: "beansticks"

Not quite so. You start to apply tomato feed AFTER the first truss of flowers has set. It's there to feed the fruit, not flowers.

I use it on my cucumbers, but without a control sample I couldn't tell you if it's doing more harm than good!!!

so,i could use it for,say,jalapenos and chillis?but would be no use to spring onions,beetroot etc...(your dealing with an amateur here! :oops: )

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
tomato feed
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 20:37 »
Tomato feed is higher in Potassium than most balanced fertilizers, and can be used on most plants that flower or fruit, as a general rule with Tom's wait until first truss has set like Digger Dave says, the main reason for not feeding them before is that you want fruit not leaf so if the plant is slightly low on nutrient it kicks into " make seed" mode quicker and puts it's energy into flowering rather than leaf making.
As a general rule Nitrogen for leaf, Phosphorus for root growth, and  Potassium for flower, fruit, and general hardiness.
Hope this helps
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
tomato feed
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 20:39 »
Forgot to say Tomato feed is great for your flowers, esp hanging baskets window boxes etc, I always feed mine with that and seaweed juice.

DD.

• Global Moderator
tomato feed
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 20:40 »
Quote from: "davep"

so,i could use it for,say,jalapenos and chillis?but would be no use to spring onions,beetroot etc...(your dealing with an amateur here! :oops: )

To be absolutely honest - I don't know. When I feed the tomatoes in the greenhouse - everything else gets treated the same! Outside stuff is grown in soil that is well manured with horse muck and seems to do fine without any extra assistance.

Over to any expert in the field (allotment).

DD.

• Global Moderator
tomato feed
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 20:42 »
I see the experts were answering as I was typing!

davep

tomato feed
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 20:43 »
thanks all! i suppose it will either kill em or make em monsters.half the fun of it i suppose!

WG.

tomato feed
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 20:44 »
Comfrey liquid for high potash tomato food

xx
Tomato feed

Started by finty22 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 17:22
by finty22
xx
Tomato feed

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2019, 12:58
by New shoot
xx
Tomato feed

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2017, 08:12
by Blewit
xx
tomato feed

Started by Lionel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 09:37
by woodburner

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 38 queries.