Tomato feed?

• 14 Replies

CZ Silhouette

Tomato feed?
« on: April 18, 2008, 09:01 »
I know that Comfrey is very good as a feed for tomatoes, but I am unable to get any or have room to plant my own. I have sheep manure in a Hessian sack in one of my rain water butts & was also going to dissolve some chicken pellets as a liquid feed.
 Is this going to be good enough to get keep my toms going through the season without have to use a proprietary brand feed?

Any help much appreciated.
MY BACKS ACHING!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!

compostqueen

Tomato feed?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 09:27 »
I think so.  Liquid manure is very strong though so dilute it til it looks the colour of weak tea

CZ Silhouette

Tomato feed?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:08 »
Thanks CP.
Thats good news :D

The only trouble was when I went out the other day to collect the sheep dung I forgot my gloves :oops:  Good job there was a trough to hand :lol:

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
Tomato feed?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:13 »
Im using nettle tea made from wild nettles.Works well for leaf growth in the early stages. Ive just been to the beach and picked 6 large bags of seaweed to chop up, very rich in potassium for growing fruit.

This is a good link for you.

http://www.organicmattersmag.com/features/1-features/103-what-do-organic-growers-do-about-foliar-feeds

Oh CZ nice rifle is that a BRNO 452???
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

CZ Silhouette

Tomato feed?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 13:01 »
Quote from: "WhippetMaster"
Oh CZ nice rifle is that a BRNO 452???

Thanks for the link :)

452 Silhouette with 16" barrel, excellent for putting food on the table :D

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
Tomato feed?
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 13:45 »
Nice rifle, that was my first until I bought a semi auto.

Rabbit stew with home grown veggies, perfect!!!!

Trillium

Tomato feed?
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 15:20 »
The rifle looks more like a small cannon. I could only see mince rather than stew from that monster.  :wink:

CZ Silhouette

Tomato feed?
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 08:15 »
Quote from: "WhippetMaster"
Rabbit stew with home grown veggies, perfect!!!!

Too True!! You cant beat it!

Something very rewarding about sitting down to a meal were you've shot & prepared the meat course, & got your own veg with it.

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
Tomato feed?
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 08:20 »
Yes you are right, the meat tastes better and rabbit has little fat. I just cut it off the bone and throw the whole lot into a slow cooker for ten hours whilst at work.

It's free and the largest natural source of protein on the planet, post war this was a luxury. Better than flat packed Tesco chicken!!!

The remainder is given raw to the dogs, perfect for their health!!

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
Tomato feed?
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 09:10 »
Your soaked manure will be fine as a general feed but you may still not have enough Potash which is needed for fruiting crops
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

gobs

Tomato feed?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 09:40 »
Quote from: "fivespud364"
Your soaked manure will be fine as a general feed but you may still not have enough Potash which is needed for fruiting crops

Might be the case, also, you only need about a handful to a bucket of water and that needs diluting as said and use only to water established plants.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

aquitaine

rabbit, etc
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 13:54 »
Here we eat a lot of hare, done in a casserole....jointed and soaked for a week in red wine with bouquet garni and quartered lemons with loads of local prunes added (we live near Agen, the prune capital of the world). This is cooked slowly in the oven and tastes magnificent.  I got the recipe from my 84 year old landlady, (we rent a house on her farm).  She's a fount of all knowledge when it comes to the soil and growing things...if only my french were up to understanding it all :(
Lorna

JimG

Tomato feed?
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 17:31 »
Anyone see QI last night?  Men working for the Hudson Bay Company died quicker from malnutrition because of their 100% rabbit diet!  It seems that, although very high in protein, rabbit lacks many essential nutrients.  Their metabolisms worked to digest the rabbit, using up vitamins in the process.  All they needed were a few carrots, so rabbit casserole is certainly still on the menu!

gobs

Tomato feed?
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 18:47 »
I'd doubt it needs be rabbit though, if you don't eat fruit and veg you make yourself ill to say the least.

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
Tomato feed?
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 20:17 »
Quote from: "JimG"
Anyone see QI last night?  Men working for the Hudson Bay Company died quicker from malnutrition because of their 100% rabbit diet!  It seems that, although very high in protein, rabbit lacks many essential nutrients.  Their metabolisms worked to digest the rabbit, using up vitamins in the process.  All they needed were a few carrots, so rabbit casserole is certainly still on the menu!

Rabbit contains little fat and no carbohydrates the basic two components in our diet that give us energy. Would recommend supplementing it with a little dead cow (or broad beans/quorn if you prefer vegetarian). :D

Didn't see the programme but I have just had a friend mention the same facts to me as he feared I may be wasting away.....

xx
Tomato feed

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2017, 08:12
by Blewit
xx
tomato feed

Started by Lionel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 09:37
by woodburner
xx
Tomato feed

Started by twhincup on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2006, 19:33
by Phoenix
xx
Tomato Feed

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 08:16
by Kristen

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 39 queries.