Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

• 9 Replies

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Hello everyone.

Am nervous about posting after the chap from Gardener's World was accused of not contributing and as you know I don't really contribute very often apart from to ask advice so sorry and thanks for all the advice previously.   :blush:

I have a year old Speckled Sussex hen that's gone broody.  However, she doesn't sit in the nest 24/7.  She does venture out for food for long periods but then returns and makes a really funny growly noise if we go anywhere near her.  So does this mean she'll sit on some eggs?

I like to do things on the 'cheep' (sorry can't help it!) so I'm wondering what I'd need to make to allow her to brood in?  I'd need to seperate her as the others need to get to the nest box.  I have a large rabbit run.  Could I just put a cardboard box in there and make sure it doesn't get wet or is that a bit basic?

Ta everso

Foxy

Re: Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 20:15 »
She might sit on eggs, sometimes it takes a few days for them to get really broody. How long is she off the nest for? Usually they come off once or twice a day for no more than 20-30mins max, to have a drink and some food, and importantly have a huge poo! :D
Keeping her separate is a good idea, and using an old hutch sounds fine, as long as it it nice and sheltered and she is safe from predators. When you move her it may stop her broodiness, so use hardboiled eggs in her new nest to make sure she is happy to sit and not too discomfited by the move.
Finally, always research your breed, and egg supplier and decide what you are going to do in advance with surplus cockerels. :)

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 20:21 »
Thanks for this Foxy.  Am prepared for the cockerals having already had experience in dispatching my own now!  I've already got the eggs on the way.  Ooops!

She's mostly coming off the nest because we kick her off.  Otherwise I think she'd stay there all day but am not entirely sure.

However, nothing lost nothing gained and all that.  I don't have an old hutch but have a run and was thinking of just putting something inside it that she could nest in.  We are in the heart of suburbia and don't seem to get predators in our garden with the exception of Killer Cat, who is now staying away from them.

Thanks again.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 20:46 »
ahhhh what eggs have you got coming???? :D :D

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 22:51 »
I have mixed bantam.  We would love some bantams and I figured cos they were mixed they are 'cheep' and it wouldn't matter if it didn't work out.

Ta for the advice   :)

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 20:51 »
Arghhh.  Eggs on the way and she seems to have decided she's not broody anymore!!!!!   It was risking the wrath of my husband as it was, when he found out I was encouraging the addition of MORE chickens to the pen but what do I do with the eggs on their way now????   Arrrrgggghhh!

Caralou

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 00:05 »
Hello everyone.

Am nervous about posting after the chap from Gardener's World was accused of not contributing and as you know I don't really contribute very often apart from to ask advice so sorry and thanks for all the advice previously.   :blush:

That's contribution enough for us, and I'm sure if you knew an answer you'd help others as well. All I ever do is ask questions usually, and everyone here is here to help. The GW guy just joined purely to get the forum to do his research, or at least that was how his post came across to the members. So a hard time was given  :tongue2: 8)

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 05:39 »
Even if you have to get eggs from the market set them in her nest and see if she will go to setting again. If she does just swaop the eggs coming in with the eggs she had under her. Might be worth a try.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:16 »
I've spent almost a fortnight trying to break my duck out of being broody and I have finally given in and ordered some eggs to go under her and am now terrified that she will change her mind the moment I put them under her!
To be fair the neighbours are having some work done in the garden and there is a still saw (no, I don't know what that is but it is very noisy) going off about 3 feet from her house and she is not moving a muscle.
Hope your girl settles back down.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 10:36 »
So the eggs arrived yesterday and my sussex had shown NO signs of broodiness in the past 2 days so last night I shoved her and the eggs in a nest together and then this morning when she came out I immediately shoved her back in with some food and water.  Am I being cruel?  So far she's sitting on the eggs!

xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Another Broody Hen Question

Started by heifer on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:39
by muntjac
xx
Broody Question!

Started by lukasmum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 12:53
by stan deakin

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.