Quail help

• 22 Replies

coughdrop

Quail help
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:28 »
Hi, can anyone tell me where i can buy quail chicks please, i would like 6 hen chicks, but finding any is like looking for rocking horse poo, there is one local garden centre that has them in sometimes, but everytime i ask if they have any, it`s no sorry they havent hatched yet try again  next week, they clearly can`t be bothered. I live in wakefield and would be very grateful for any help
Thanks

massa

• Experienced Member
Re: Quail help
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 10:32 »
there is a really good breeder in Doncaster where i get all mine from, he sells eggs, chicks or adult birds if its not too far to travel?

coughdrop

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:00 »
Thats brilliant, thank you, do you know where abouts in Doncaster he is please.

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:19 »
We got ours from Storrs Poultry near Sheffield, they have hundreds.  We have had our six for  a year and they are all healthy and feeding well.  You can google their address (be aware it is down a pot holed farm track!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:25 »
I too have use Storrs on a number of occasions and they are great. The lad there is really helpful. If you look in the Breeders Listings http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/poultry-suppliers/index.php Storrs are in there  :)

Oh, and as per the potholed track, last time I went I came back with a slow puncture  :ohmy:  :mad: so be careful driving down there!

coughdrop

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 22:21 »
Thanks for your replies, i found Storrs on google yesterday it`s a bit far to go though, but i was told to ring Capricorn connections at Ossett,( not far from me) had a ride up this afternoon and he had only got Chinese, but will have some Japenese next week, all his birds and mice ect were looked really healthy and the cages were immaculate.
Capricorn is at the end of a longish road and into a small trading estate, and guess what there are potholes there too lol.
Thanks for your help, probably be asking a fw questions when my girls come .

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:37 »
Whilst I am sure there are exceptions buying from garden centres may not be a good idea. Usually they are garden experts not poultry experts!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

daisy1990

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 20:51 »
Good luck with the quail and will be happy to help if I can.  The eggs really are lovely and I am getting very good at cooking them perfectly! The main problem we have found is keeping their feet clean.  We move them every couple of days so they are on clean grass but poo gets stuck in their feet and forms solid balls which needs soaking gently off, must be a design fault with Quail!

coughdrop

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 22:39 »
Hi Daisy, thanks for the offer of help, you may regret it lol, well i got some yesterday, i saw them advertised on the pre loved site, 11 three week old chicks, so i emailed him and went to look at them ,to be told there was only ten, he must have mis  counted but there was one of them not well, they had no food in because he had run out the night before and he ground some adult food up for them ,  they were in a brooder box and cost £15 for the ten and box, (not bad i thought), got them home and warm again and fed  and watered them, when i looked later the little one had died, this morning i went to clean them out because they were really smelly, and there were two more little ones not well, the seem to shuffle about then one leg goes as if it`s stiff and they just die, so now i am down to seven, these seem active enough and are little eating machines.
Just hope these seven are ok and not all boys.

neenyneen

love my chickens me! :-)

daisy1990

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 15:23 »
Oh dear, always a risk buying sick animals, I hope the others will be OK,  It is hard enough getting a vet to treat chickens so must be nearly impossible to find help for sick Quail. I suppose all you can do is keep them clean and dry and well nourished and hope for the best- good luck with them all

coughdrop

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 14:17 »
Thanks Daisy, well the seven i have left are doing fine, and never stop eating, i have tried them with  a tiny amount of dandelion leaves, lettuce and scrambled egg, the lettuce got nibbled at, dandelion left and the egg got booted out of the feeder literally, they let me pick them up and transfer them to a pet carrier while i clean the brooder out and i handle them everytime i go feed/water them, i nearly had two escapees last night, they are just trying to fly in the box, i am hooked now and would like a few more, when i get another hutch, i would also like a couple of bantams now too, but i have only got my dis used greenhouse, just trying to work out if i could board it up to make them a hut, it is in total cover  at three sides and practically covered at the other side, so it wouldn`t be too warm in there. Nobody told me it would be addictive lol.

daisy1990

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 20:07 »
ours live in a chicken coop. They are ground dwelling birds so dont really need height (ours never fly unless they are flapping if startled).  Ours do however walk up the ramp and put themselves to bed at night in the upstairs part of the coop.  We have given them a cat litter tray upstairs and downstairs with hemp in it and they use this to cuddle up in if it is cold and also to lay their eggs.  I haven't tried ours with treats other than mealworms which they like and corn which they didnt.  Their staple diet should be chick crumb which I presume you are feeding them?  Sounds like yours are doing well- lets hope you get lovely eggs!

coughdrop

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 08:49 »
I am going to try and make a run for them, and my son in law says he will make me a coop with  an upstairs and down stairs, so they have a bit more room to move, now i just need to see if i have girls or boys, can`t wait to get them outside in their new house, yes they are on chick crumb, the guy i got it off says they stop on that all the time, is that right ?? they have also got a small tray of grit, i will get them a litter tray to snuggle up in never thought of that.

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 08:58 »
It is advisable to have a head height of at least 18 inches for quail. They fly up vertically and do injure the tops of their heads. Mine have a 30 inch head room and I still lost one - its neck was broken and I can only assume it had flown straight up.

I put conifer branches in their run and they love hiding in this. It is a more natural environment for them and they really seem to appreciate it.

And yes poultry keeping is addictive. Do remember if you continue to feed them on chick crumb ensure it does not have ACS in or you should not eat the eggs. Mine started to lay at about 8 weeks old :)

xx
quail

Started by davidmostyn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 11:56
by mdueal
xx
Anyone Keep Quail?

Started by Glen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 21:05
by Glen
xx
Any one got quail or had them ???

Started by Lottieluv on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 12:10
by Kate and her Ducks
exclamation
quail

Started by jarrode0 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 11:22
by woodside farm

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.