Non-Floaty float!?

• 3 Replies

BeVoLiD

Non-Floaty float!?
« on: June 25, 2011, 21:57 »
Hi there, does anyone know if there is anything i can do to make my float...float. i have a Villiers s10 carb that floods about 20 seconds after starting, after much investigation i found out that the float wasn't rising as the fuel level rose, however the float floats perfectly in water. The pin as i understand it has a tapered end that should stop the flow as the float rises, the pin and float are both freely moving and the fuel can be stopped if i pull the float up manually!! Any ideas on how to remedy this would be gratefully recieved!!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 22:04 by BeVoLiD »

Gwiz

Re: Non-Floaty float!?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:08 »
Does your float rattle if you shake it? if it does that's usually a sure sign that it has a leak.
On the older carbs, there is often a small "O" ring in the part that the pin goes into. Over time, this can perish to a condition that won't stop the flow of petrol when the float rises.
Also, although your float may be okay in water, it might not be ok in petrol.
Your float doesn't exert a great deal of pressure on the needle when it's in the float chamber, so if it, or the needle seat, is in anyway faulty, it won't work properly

If yours is a machine that hasn't been used for sometime before you have started to work on it, it may be that there is some "muck" up the part where the float needle(pin) goes, that is stopping the pin from seating correctly. It won't have to be a very large bit of debris to keep the petrol flowing.
If you need to get parts, then Meetens may-well be able to help.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 06:37 by Gwiz »

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:57 »

I agree with all that Gwizz has said.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

BeVoLiD

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 20:15 »
thank-you for your quick reply!! the float does rattle when i shake it but i have tried testing for leaks but none found, i took it to my mates who's a bit of a mechanical wizz, he's found a fault with my throttle needle which is also causing it to leak so Meetens it is again!!  ssshh don't tell the wife, apparently the lawn mower is NOT a necessity! Thanks again!

xx
milk float....

Started by agapanthus on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 13:37
by Celtic Eagle

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.