Aubergines

• 29 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Aubergines
« on: April 30, 2017, 14:38 »
Are there any "tricks of the trade" in germinating these? My 6 year-old grandson bought me a packet of seed during his recent holiday in Italy. Frankly I hate the things but feel duty-bound to grow a couple in the polytunnel. I've tried and better tried to germinate them in the heated propagator but so far nothing to show.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Aubergines
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 15:11 »
I find, like chillies, they can be awkward to germinate  ::) I sowed half a packet and managed to get 2 to germinate and they took about 10days!

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 18:29 »
how old is the seed. Often seeds bought in places that are not closely controlled as seed suppliers (such as tourist shops) can hang around for a long time before being sold. Try a couple of seeds on damp tissue paper in warm place to see if any life in them. In terms of planting in pots to put in propagator don't plant too deep and keep just damp. Not wet and not drying out between waterings. Temperature should never drop below 15C or get too high say not above about 21C.  Perhaps seeds bought from Italy are a variety not suited to UK and may need something to set them off I am not even thinking off here. If you have a variety name try to goggle it and see if it has some special characteristic that needs to be taken into account. (exclude light or permit light etc) I sow mine in JI seed compost with vermiculite covering them with bottom heat in enclosed propagator -- just like tomatoes and seem to do OK.
My first thought though is old seed.
Best of luck,
R

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 20:33 »
For me, the trick is getting them to actually fruit. I can get them to germinate and grow, I just struggle with the actual fruiting bit!!

I did find that putting them in a cooler, shadier part of the polytunnel helped. I actually managed a few fruits last year. Up to then I'd put them in full sun, thinking they were hot, mediterranean plants but the flowers always just died and fell off. Decided not to give them 'premium' space, chucked them over the other side and they all fruited  :nowink:

gobs

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 21:08 »
I so do think, too, there is no any tricks. Just warmth, low twenties C, moist and patience. They readily come up. They just do take their time. Weeks, actually.

Other than that it needs to be some useless seed, indeed.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 21:08 by gobs »
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 21:10 »
For me, the trick is getting them to actually fruit. I can get them to germinate and grow, I just struggle with the actual fruiting bit!!

I did find that putting them in a cooler, shadier part of the polytunnel helped. I actually managed a few fruits last year. Up to then I'd put them in full sun, thinking they were hot, mediterranean plants but the flowers always just died and fell off. Decided not to give them 'premium' space, chucked them over the other side and they all fruited  :nowink:

Have you tried to grow them as gh cukes? Cut out the leading shoot, when a good size and use the new branching stems.

jambop

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 15:05 »

Aubergines need warm even hot sunny conditions to be successful. I grow them down here in full sun but they do need a good fertile and moist soil when they are growing. they also need quite a long growing season to get the best from them. I do not germinate my own seed it is easier to just buy half a dozen plants from the market.

spadework

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 15:33 »
I chit them on moist kitchen roll in a clear plastic food/sandwich container placed in a warm spot. once I see the first sign of germination I carefully transplant into a small pot for emergence and growing on.

I sow in January and they are initially put under grow lights then grown on a window ledge once the days are longer. They grow pretty slowly at first although that may have to do with the early start. :nowink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 17:19 »
I sowed mine in a heated propagator back on 12th Feb

One thing I learned about germination is to give them a good light airy compost and so use equal thirds of Jacks Magic multi purp, coir and perlite.

Seems to work alright

They like warm, moist soil to grow in and don't like their leaves dessicating
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 20:29 »
I found I only got fruit to set if I put them outside, where the buzzies could get at them easily.

gobs

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 22:23 »
I found I only got fruit to set if I put them outside, where the buzzies could get at them easily.

Right you are, Mum, they need hand-pollinating in the small gh environment, where nothing can get at them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 22:29 »
I tried to pollinate them with a soft pain brush but even that didn't work! So when they are flowering it's outside for them, as often as weather allows.

gobs

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 22:35 »
I have no experience of this, I would get a lot of bees in my poly, even in my summer house. A lot of holes houses...

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 09:59 »
I tried to pollinate them with a soft pain brush but even that didn't work! So when they are flowering it's outside for them, as often as weather allows.

I tried that too, but it didn't work. Do you think the flowers dying and falling off is lack of pollination?

Have you tried to grow them as gh cukes? Cut out the leading shoot, when a good size and use the new branching stems.

No, I haven't tried that...might give it a go this year. Does it help give a bigger crop?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 10:47 »
From reading the above, I think I'll "cheat" and buy a couple of plants at the garden centre. The little one needn't know they aren't from the seeds he bought Granddad. If the seeds ever do germinate, we'll have a late crop as bonus :)

xx
Aubergines- do I sow them now?

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 19:50
by gobs
xx
aubergines

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 12:07
by brinylon
xx
Aubergines

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 20:36
by Chiswickian
xx
Aubergines

Started by sueanthony on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 13:51
by sueanthony

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 41 queries.