Another Blight Victim... I think

• 3 Replies

arronc

« on: July 08, 2007, 17:51 »
I think i may have blight, but if someone could confirm before i go chopping everything off i would be grateful. I Had a little dig today and some potatoes but most where very small, not yet ready, so i am really reluctant to chop the tops off  :cry: some of the leaves not all look like below and the bottom leaves of the plant are all yellow and some have fallen off after going black at the stem.

Also as you can see some of the stems have gone black? The tops are healthy enough and the tatties look fine. Advice would be extremely gratefull, thanks
First year at growing veg, not too fussed about being organic, but if I can I will, be nice ;)

Trotboy

Blight
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 18:57 »
Cartainly looks like it, if there is a fine white mould under those leaves on the back of the black/brown splodges, then definately.

Cutting back will only work if your potatoes are ready or almost ready enough to lift. You may just have to take your chances and eat them as soon as lifted. The main problem as I understand it is storage.
Only the Devon shovel can save us!

arronc

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 19:04 »
no mold on the backs, just braved the rain to see

Annie

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:02 »
If they`re really too small to consider eating then the only thing you can try is picking off all affected foliage.All stems showing any signs of rot will have to be pulled out asap as the tuber will rot too.If you have outdoor tomatoes and they are not affected then cut your losses andtake out the potatoes.I sympathise I have taken the tops of the2nd earlies which are a bit small and am keeping my fingers crossed about the maincrops but really am resigned to a bad potato year.

xx
strawberries, have i become a victim of my own success?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2015, 21:51
by snow white
xx
Unexpected cold victim; rhubarb???

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2022, 03:11
by Subversive_plot
xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Blight ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 09:19
by NASH

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 39 queries.