Which new girls?

• 11 Replies

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Which new girls?
« on: April 27, 2013, 21:23 »
A local chap breeds pretty hybrids and I'll have a look at his POLs tomorrow:
Bluebelle, Speckledy, Sussex Star, Copper Star and Colombian Blacktails.  He seems to have done a good job of vaccinations etc and they should be healthy and robust but I'm after looks and friendliness really...(I don't really eat eggs much)...
Any comments on the above?
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Which new girls?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 21:44 »
Yes, they are all lovely and each will have their own personality.

I've had bluebelles, and Columbian blacktails, and similar breeds to the others.  You will find that different breeders or rearers call them by different names.

I've had Plymouth Barred rocks which are similar to speckeldy's which are basically a  cross between the rhode island red and a maran..  The Sussex Star is derived from a light Sussex, which are lovely birds, and the copper star is like the black rocks or shaver blacks like I've got

You will get a lot of eggs from any of these are they are hybrids and they will probably lay well in their first and maybe 2nd winter too, unlike the pure breeds they are bred from.

So really it is personal choice as to which colours you get.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 22:53 »
I have all of the hybrid breeds and they are all wonderful, friendly pets. They love all the attention we give them and are a happy little group together too. I really don't think you could go wrong with choosing from any of them. If you choose one of each of your favorites they will look pretty together too.
Go along, watch the hens and go in with them, get a feel for the ones you like. I tend to find that the hens will choose you. Most will run away when you go in but some will want to say 'hi' straight away.  :lol:

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 20:28 »
How did it go today, Nerdle?

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 00:45 »
Hello again
Mini crisis (dog not well) and didn't get to breeder.  Had a look online and hybrids are all about eggs (albeit lovely friendly hens) and I'm not in it for the eggs really.
I think I prefer pure breeds and will look around but in the meantime it occurs to me to mention here that I'd be open to offering a very happy retirement home to girls that no longer lay - or the bottom of pecking order to give them a happy home :)

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 14:35 »
If you are not bothered about eggs then try silkies! I am very fond of mine and although they tend to go broody a lot or simply don't lay, their eggs are lovely when they do lay! They are nearly all yolk and roughly equate to 2 silkie eggs to a large egg. They are very docile although they are escape artists and very nosey!  :)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 23:07 »
That's a lovely suggestion thank you.  You've made me think now.... I might ask of here if any retired hens needing a home - if not I'll tour the local breeders.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 09:35 »
I have seen ones for rehoming on birdtrader and preloved.  Some people get them and change their minds within a few months.   :ohmy:  I hope you find some soon as I would be like a dog with an itch if I was henless.   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Agatha

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 11:27 »
How about ex-battery hens? 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 00:54 »
Yes I thought about it.  I don't think they'll let me take fewer than 3 and I have room for two big girls or three little ones.

I'll browse Preloved and I think they sell pure breeds at Salisbury market once a month...

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 09:55 »
You could enquire at your local RSPCA, if they are like ours they sometimes get unwanted pet hens.   ;)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 23:37 »
Salisbury has a rare breed market every month so hope to be there on 18 May.  Let's see...................
RSPCA excellent idea thank you.

xx
New Girls are on their way!!!!

Started by jinty1911 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 18:41
by jinty1911
xx
My girls

Started by sneezer on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 17:19
by sneezer
exclamation
Come on girls, I'll be look-out!

Started by TeaPots on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 21:38
by TeaPots
xx
New girls

Started by themagicaltoad1 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 14:35
by JaK

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.