brussel sprout

• 8 Replies

rowlandwells

brussel sprout
« on: November 13, 2017, 20:44 »
 I was looking for a good Brussel sprout to grow for next season so went for two varieties Brigitte and half tall don't know if I've made the rite choice

went for Bridgette F1 as its said to crop around October till the end of December and half tall as it has a dwarf habit and matures very early

has anyone been growing those two varieties and how did they crop also would you recommend them or should I go for an alternative variety we usually end up getting an infestation of aphids on our sprouts so I've bought some fine mesh to overcome that any advise would be appreciated

lettice

Re: brussel sprout
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:43 »
I've grown two varieties now for a good decade.
Groninger. Can sow right up to May, harvest from late October to February. Each plant produces heavy yields of medium to large sprouts over a long period as have a long sowing period from Feb to May.
Crispus F1. These also crop well, are medium sprouts. You get an earlier crop from late September to late December. They do pop in January, so you need to pick them by end December.

Only problems I find with Brussels Sprouts are the cabbage white, but I have use my cabbage white dummies for the last few years and not had any problems.

I've tried a few other sprouts over the years along with my favourites above, but all have been disappointing.
Found Evesham to be be a good tasting sprout, but were small plants, so not the greatest yield.
Camelot were a complete failure and produced more tops than sprouts and were not very tight sprouts as if they all blew on growing.
The worst I tried were Windsor, they produced very small yield per plant and small to medium sprouts on small plants and were over sweet.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:19 »
I've never heard of cabbage white dummies. You seem to find they work so would you mind letting me know where can I get some from.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

lettice

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:39 »
I've never heard of cabbage white dummies. You seem to find they work so would you mind letting me know where can I get some from.

I'm using what was discussed a few years back and tried with great success on here.
Like I said then I was sceptical, but it works. 
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=114611.0

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 22:41 »
Sound# interesting, now for the whitefly 👿
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

lettice

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 07:59 »
Small pots of Marigolds around your plot, keeps the whitefly away.

Mr Dog

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:42 »

Don't think the whitefly on my plot know that  :nowink:

al78

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 15:16 »

You would likely need more than a few small pots. With companion planting used as a pest deterrent, you need enough of the plant to mask the smell of the crop, or to attract predators of the pests i.e. you'd need to surround the bed with it.

lettice

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 09:22 »
You would likely need more than a few small pots. With companion planting used as a pest deterrent, you need enough of the plant to mask the smell of the crop, or to attract predators of the pests i.e. you'd need to surround the bed with it.

Just have one small 5 inch pot each end of my Brussels sprout plots.
Do have about another ten pots around the plot in similar sized plots and a few large tubfulls on the patio.
I learnt this about thirty years ago from my local allotment and noticed a lot plots had marigold pots around their plots and they told me its to deter whitefly.
Good thing about marigold is its so easy grow and save the seeds and they flower from early to late season with regular dead heading. I assume it is the scent, as it is very powerful when you walk by.
It certainly has worked for me, as do not get any whitefly attacks on my sprouts or any other brassica.
Also, the bees love it too.

xx
Brussel sprout question

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 16:21
by vanessa.xx
xx
brussel sprout cage

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 21:38
by Trikidiki
xx
Brussel sprout plants

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 19:55
by gobs
xx
Cabbage and Brussel Sprout Plants

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 18:53
by DD.

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 49 queries.