poultry tonic preferences

• 8 Replies

happy chick

• Experienced Member
« on: October 02, 2008, 20:38 »
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the relative merits of the various poultry pick me ups available.  Due to get ex-batts in a couple of weeks and wondering whether to go for poultry spice, cod liver oil or apple cider vinegar :?:
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 21:21 »
I use Lifeguard (NAF) particularly when mine are ducklings or moulting as ducks have a higher niacin (B vitamin) requirement which it contains. Bit haphazard most of the time but add it to the water if they are at all under the weather or at the times I have already mentioned. Mine have all been really healthy but that might have nothing to do with the tonic :roll:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 21:40 »
ACV occasionally, a drop of cod liver oil on  a bit of bread once a month is what mine get.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 21:52 »
ex-bats are actually quite healthy -just weak from not using their muscles as they dont have much room to move around in their cages.
They arrive very much lacking in the feather front -due to a combination of moult and broken feathers -and obviously suffering from stress due to the trauma of the rehoming process -some are better at coping than others.
Cod liver is good and cheap all you need is a teaspoon mixed well into a few handfuls of mixed corn once a week (this time of year in the afternoon ) this well help the absorption of vital vitamins and minerals needed to promote healthy new feathers.
 A poultry tonic is  a good  idea as helps give the hens a boost through the stressful period from caged to rehomed.
There a a few good ones, poultry boost, poultry spice are commonly used.

Apple cider vineager is good -but  dont worry about using for the first month as the gut of the hens should be OK. ACV is great at creating a healthy gut which due to the acid is hostile to worms and bacteria.

I also like to pop a crushed garlic clove to their water this also helps to boost their immune system by creating a hostile enviroment to bacteria.
Finally try not to handle them too much in the intial few days -just leave them quietly with plenty of fresh water and mash initially as that is what they will be used too. You can change slowly to pellets later if you prefer.

Hope this helps and good luck!

happy chick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 08:18 »
Thanks all,

It can be quite time consuming deciphering the scientific jargon on the backs of these products so its great to have it eggsplained :lol: (sorry) in laymans terms.  

Thanks for the brill advice, Foxy, :D  looks like the strategy will be cod liver oil and poultry spice initially ( to deal with the feathers and stress).  Later on think about using acv or garlic for immune system/gut.

will let know how it goes - with the obligatory before and after pics of course!!!

Bodger

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 12:51 »
You can't beat fresh green grass. :D

happy chick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 13:12 »
Aahh,

Now I remember.. ...my first horse was a bit of a rescue jobbie(don't have horses anymore :cry: have to be responsible and pay mortgage!)

Anyway horse in bad way and got in spring.  Dr Grass was AMAZING.  She turned into an excellent showjumper and was envy of yard!  Back to chickens - lots of good grass in garden at mo -planning to let free range outside school run times (hope gsd protects from foxes and doesn't chase them :x )

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 15:40 »
I'd just like to add that poultry spice is minerals and poultry boost is vitamins.  So I give both at times of stress.

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 18:29 »
Thats worth noting -I have never used Poultry Spice as thought was the same thing! :shock:
I do use Battles drink as well sometimes thats good as contains iron and magnesium.

xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
poultry spice tonic

Started by drpepper on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 09:11
by Sassy
xx
Nettex tonic or poultrt tonic

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 04:22
by mohs.ayaz
xx
Run roof preferences?

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2016, 17:57
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 38 queries.