POL Sussex all signs there but not laying, acting strangely

• 7 Replies

seasnake100

Hi please can you give me some advice. We are new to chicken keeping and now have 6 ladies (4 hybrids & 2 sussex) that we bought as point of lay. 2 of which are laying regularly, 3 not quite there yet but one who looks like she should be laying but isn't, it is this one i'm concerned about.

She is a Red Sussex, I think about 25 weeks old. SHe has had the really red face for the last 2 weeks and the gap between her pelvic bones is large enough but nothing has happened yet. In the last couple of days she seems to have gone quite subdued and breathing quite heavily. Her back end is also a bit straggly too. I haven't seen her doing any proper poos but have seen on a couple of occasions today a like jet of water coming out her backside. I'd be grateful if someone could let me know if they think there is anything I should be doing or looking out for. They have been wormed and had mite powder on recently. Thanks

bantam novice

hello seasnake100 and welcome to the forum  :)

It sometimes takes hens a little while for their egg-laying mechanism to synchronise properly and your hen may be trying to lay a softie (egg with no shell, just membrane).  This can make them feel and act under the weather.  You can try sitting her in a bath of warm water somewhere quiet and let her relax.  She may pass an egg.  There may be one stuck in her vent

There may be some other things you can check.

Does she have a temperature?  You can take this by feeling under the wing of one of your other girls and then under her wing to see if she feels warmer.

Is she eating and drinking OK?

Are her eyes clear or runny?

You may find it useful to locate a chicken-friendly vet.  Not all vets are and some even refuse to treat chickens.  If you don't need one straight away it is always useful for the future.

I am not that experienced and I'm sure someone with more experience will be along with more advice.  In the meantime good luck and keep us posted.  :)

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Sassy

I've had Sussex from the same hatch that started to lay at about 25 weeks and another at 35 weeks so it may be notheing to worry about :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Hi please can you give me some advice. We are new to chicken keeping and now have 6 ladies (4 hybrids & 2 sussex) that we bought as point of lay. 2 of which are laying regularly, 3 not quite there yet but one who looks like she should be laying but isn't, it is this one i'm concerned about.

She is a Red Sussex, I think about 25 weeks old. SHe has had the really red face for the last 2 weeks and the gap between her pelvic bones is large enough but nothing has happened yet. In the last couple of days she seems to have gone quite subdued and breathing quite heavily. Her back end is also a bit straggly too. I haven't seen her doing any proper poos but have seen on a couple of occasions today a like jet of water coming out her backside. I'd be grateful if someone could let me know if they think there is anything I should be doing or looking out for. They have been wormed and had mite powder on recently. Thanks

The bold part is the bit that would make me concerned.  As BN suggested, you might need to locate a vet near you who treats chickens.  Also do see if you can check her temperature and keep an eye on her for deteriorating health.

Young pullets do often lay soft-shelled eggs and this is usually not a problem, although it can cause them some discomfort to pass them.  But if a soft-shelled egg breaks inside her, it can cause an infection, which is a serious condition.

A raised temperature would be the first sign of an infection.

Good luck with your girl.

seasnake100

Hi, thanks all, since my last post things have changed again. About 10 days ago (and a few days aftre my post) she laid her first egg. About 3 days later she laid a massive double yoker, then nothing but yesterday she was in the nest box shouting her head off (and she'd sat in there a bit on previous day) but nothing happened. Decided to put her in a bucket of water yesterday afternoon - nothing happened but this morning I've found a soft shelled very large egg in the area where they all sleep assumedly hers!

Did I do the right thing putting her in the bucket? I didn't make the egg come out too early and that is why it's soft shelled? Is this erratic behaviour because she is young and her system is just settling down or could it be something else? All the other hens that I got at the same time are fine and laying normal eggs regularly. Thanks again for any advice.

bantam novice

Hello Seasnake100,
If you put her in warm water this would have relaxed her and helped her pass the egg.  Softies are difficult for hens to pass and can make them feel under the weather.  It sounds to me as if her system needs to settle down. 
Is she poohing and eating OK now?
How is she behaving?  Is she still subdued and breathing heavily or scratching around with the other hens?

seasnake100

Had another soft shelled egg over night.

She is pooing ok and eating not too bad too. She is definitely a lot more active and breathin better than when I first posted and she is following the other hens but always at the back. She makes a lot of noise and visits the nest box fairly frequently but her eyes look bright. Just hoping this is just a phase!

bantam novice

Good luck, Seasnake, and keep us posted  :)

xx
Hen acting very strangely

Started by SJC on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 11, 2014, 20:04
by barley
xx
Jemima acting strangely

Started by luftmenschen on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 10:16
by Sassy
xx
Chicken acting strangely

Started by PJM on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 16:32
by grinling
xx
Ducks laying strangely!

Started by Mumma Bear on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 12:43
by Vember

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.