Drip irrigation for tomatoes

• 5 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Drip irrigation for tomatoes
« on: March 29, 2014, 16:23 »
Hi chaps, I've just fitted a rather crude drip waterin system in my greenhouse, gravity fed from a big water butt, 7mm pipe supplys a drip or two every second to 9 large black tubs that will hold my tomato plants, I can probably work out tomorrow what the volume of water per tub is ... my question, is this a good idea (I only set it up as a bit of fun really, I had bits of old tube and the fittings lying around ... there aren't many occasions when I can't vist the allotment and do the job myself). When the plants go in can I leave it dripping constantly ? ... the water will drip onto an area at the base of the stem and therefore dribble down to the roots, is this Ok ? (I doubt that it will moisten all of the compost though we will see) ... anyway, anyone any advice tips etc please ? Best Roger

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Drip irrigation for tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 16:54 »
I bought a kit to do the same thing while I go on holiday

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hozelock-Water-Butt-Container-watering-Hose-Micro-pipe-Kit-15M-/251486017215?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item3a8dbc16bf

Best bet is to set it up, on 1 drip a second, and let it run for 24 hrs so you can work out how much it is draining from the butt and therefore delivering to each plant. Then you'll know whether to up the rate of drip or turn it of sometimes if it is over-watering.

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 18:35 »
Thanks mumofstig ... that looks like pretty much what I've made up myself ... yes I'll be able to check what the delivery is like tomorrow ...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 19:20 »
Careful to adjust the flow at the end of the supply pipe or you can get uneven flow rates along it, so I've heard  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 19:32 »
Check the flow rates when the butt is nearly full, and also when nearly empty - there will be a considerable difference due to the change in the height of the head of water as the level decreases (it may be crucial, and probably requires a compromise to get the right result.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:49 »
Well here it is, after 12 hours the 1 or 2 drips a second had filled the 'trays' and made the compost 'moistish'. Obviously when there are plants in the containers they will suck up some of the water but I will need to turn the 'flow' down somehow ... anyway at least it's working and I'll probably be able to leave it for a weekend when we go away (making sure I top up the butt) ... thanks for all contributions.

Roger
water_drip.jpg

xx
Irrigation advice

Started by sidwtaupin on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2019, 22:06
by Yorkie
xx
Greenhouse Irrigation

Started by pipfit on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 18:45
by JayG
xx
Irrigation for polytunnel

Started by Laurentius on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2015, 13:25
by ghost61
xx
Irrigation kits

Started by plopleuk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 13:37
by japagow

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.