Raspberries

• 6 Replies

Novice

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« on: March 05, 2006, 17:44 »
I've got a good amount of raspberry "sticks" on my plot ( the various Ron's assure me they fruit well in season )
I cleared all the grass and weeds from in between them this weekend, and mulched well with a layer of horse muck....
What else should I be doing to ensure success ?
I mean in relation to pruning, supporting etc etc.

Rural Living

• http://www.conwy-valley.org.uk
Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 16:30 »
Hi I am no expert, but seem to get a reasonable crop each year, perhaps there is an expert about. However the most important thing I have found is to mulch as you have done, I also mulch with grass cuttings in May to retain moisture, and keep the weeds down. Make sure they are kept well watered when the fruit is swelling. If they are summer fruiting varieties, I prune now removing the top 6" from the strongest canes, and 3" from the smaller ones. This encourages better fruiting. After fruiting I cut the canes to just above soil level. I then keep the best of the unfruited canes.
I support the canes with two posts and wires strung across, I then tie the canes to these wires. If they are an autumn variety the system of care differs, but from my experience the summer fruiting varieties are more popular. Hope this helps John B

olde9856

Raspberries
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 17:05 »
If they are autumn fruiting varieties it is simply a case of cutting them to the ground after fruiting. They dont really need any support and have few diseases

Novice

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 07:35 »
Thanks for the advice folks....I should have mentioned that they are Summer fruiting varieties.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you meant by
". I then keep the best of the unfruited canes. "
Does this mean that I dig up the ones which have fruited and develop the non-fruiting canes ?
Cheers

olde9856

Raspberries
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 07:58 »
On summer fruiting varieties cut down the canes which have fruited after fruiting and tie in the new growths which have not fruited. They will become next years fruiting canes. Raspberries fruit on year old wood, so this regime goes on year after year.

oggy

Rasberry's
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 10:52 »
Hi All,

I planted 10 rasberry canes last Nov. These came from a nursery and have been cut to about 12 ins just above a bud.........no sign of any growth yet.........is it still to early ?

Oggy

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Rasberry's
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 12:33 »
Quote from: "oggy"
Hi All,

I planted 10 rasberry canes last Nov. These came from a nursery and have been cut to about 12 ins just above a bud.........no sign of any growth yet.........is it still to early ?

Oggy

Reckon a few weeks yet. It's snowing and around freezing so any sensible plant is waiting a bit :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
raspberries

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2019, 15:14
by samuria
xx
Raspberries (1 pic)

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 12:26
by pumpkinpatch
xx
Raspberries

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 22:35
by Elaine G
xx
Raspberries

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2018, 11:25
by New shoot

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 38 queries.