Dahlias and agapanthus

• 3 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Dahlias and agapanthus
« on: November 11, 2015, 19:21 »
Hi all,

Was looking at Sarah Raven's website and she leaves dahlia tubers in the ground over winter or puts in large pots in the greenhouse.

As I'm in Scotland (and didn't want to chance storing bare tubers) I've dug up my tubers and put into large pots of compost. I've put these in the greenhouse on slabs of polystyrene, wrapped in bubble wrap and covered in straw. Do you think this is ok or do I need to protect them further?

I've also done the same with my agapanthus, it's supposed to be hardy but some sites say they're not, so I'm not taking any chances. Does this sound ok too?

Any advice greatly appreciated  :D

Diddy xx
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

Goosegirl

Re: Dahlias and agapanthus
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 13:47 »
I grew some dahlias called Bishops Children about 4 years ago but didn't dig them up. One seems to have survived whatever is thrown at it so I'm leaving it to do its own thing. I also have some Agapanthus but they are in a flower bed rather than in pots. They have come up each year as well. Having said that, we have not had any hard frosts so am really unsure. If your dahlias and Agapanthus are dried and stored in dry conditions they should be ok, but see what other say on here.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 19:26 »
My agapanthus has survived in the garden for three winters now and it flowered this year for the first time. It's in a planter in a sheltered corner of the back garden.  Fingers crossed for this winter.
I have been death to all dahlias every year, I just treat them as annuals.
Anne

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 09:45 »
I have to lift my dahlias at the plot but I leave them and my agapanthus in the ground in the garden - I usually put the compost from my hanging baskets on top of the garden dahlias.

xx
Agapanthus

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 22:31
by Hey Jude
xx
Agapanthus

Started by judas25 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 01:11
by Yorkie
xx
Agapanthus

Started by Optimistic Gardener on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post January 08, 2015, 14:10
by cadalot
xx
Agapanthus ?

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 19:47
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 37 queries.