Fishing Season 2018

• 69 Replies

Blackpool rocket

Re: Fishing Season 2018
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2018, 12:00 »
You might try the clasp, I did find it useful just to have on, day to day, although my pain was pretty constant. I knew if I'd forgotten to put it on.
Aled, the 80s on the Usk, I wonder if we might have seen each other? It's where my mate taught me to fly fish.
Do you remember "Ken The dam" as he was known, the bailif.
We would often fish from the slip or right round the other side as far as we could drive.....I've got many tales I could tell :D :D

Br

MarkC

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2018, 21:56 »
First proper rain since early May here this weekend....salmon seen on some local rivers today, so hoping to cast the first line of 2018 tomorrow....not before time!

Aled

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2018, 12:11 »
Yes I knew Ken, although my Dad knew him better than I did. usually fished the bay which you saw on the left as you drove in, it was where I caught my first fish, my best pal called it "Al's corner". We've had some rain things should get better.
Tight Lines
Aled 

MarkC

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2018, 18:42 »
Broke the duck for 2018 yesterday, with a 3lb slightly coloured grilse duly returned. Lost another too and quite a few coming through our beat which is encouraging.

Aled

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2018, 15:28 »
Nice one MarkC, I've seen and lost sea trout in recent weeks....just not caught any sea trout recently.
Cheers
Aled

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2018, 20:14 »
Finaly got round to buying my license today  :lol:
Arm feels ok now so will start to tie a few flys ready now the sun has gone.
Calendar out and to pencil some dates in.
Boy have I missed it.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2018, 12:18 »
Monday.... Weather looking good, not too windy, cloud and no rain until around 4 ish.

Been tying some more PTNs of various variations and some Polish PTNs to try as well.
Even had a go at dying the pheasant tail feathers, seemed to of worked.

Watch this space

Aled

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2018, 13:05 »
Fished Llyn Clywedog on Saturday, managed 2 rainbows, but what a horrible day to fish, wind and rain all day!!
Cheers
Aled

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2018, 20:19 »
Was in two minds this morning as the wind had increased gusts upto 30mph but decided to go.
Hard work was an understatement, first battling the wind but also the catch reports was showing not a lot being caught.
Several hours in and trying all sorts and nothing.
Had dinner and a rethink and while looking out noticed one chap fighting one, popped down to see what he was using and he said a PTN with a green thorax so changed flies, Sulpher Nymph on tip and a PTN with green thorax about a foot up.
3 rainbows in a 15 min period! lost one then it quiet, then another landed.
Time to go home only I had a little accident and managed to lock the car keys in the car  :ohmy: had to wait for breakdown man to let me back in.

MarkC

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2018, 22:43 »
Having sorted out the Storm Ali damage, I managed a day on the river yesterday and doubled the season's catch with two slightly coloured hen fish at 7lb and 4lb, both returned. Definitely a challenging season up here, still waiting to get a cock fish to smoke for Christmas, looks likely to be a rainbow now!

Have fished about the same hours as last year, but only 1/3 of the result.....still the allotment has been bountiful this year.

Aled

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 14:33 »
Rain here last week, river fining down nicely I hope to get out this week. Well done on those of you who have caught.
Aled

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2018, 19:52 »
Forecast was for 30mph winds so mate n I decided a trip up north to Bank House was in order as it sheltered by trees that surround it.
Checked the catch report and thought mmm not a lot being caught at mo but what was being caught tended to be on either buzzed or nymphs so I decided on the faithful PTN on the tip and the Sulphur nymph on the dropped.
Hours in and not a sniff! Swapped around with different flies, not it was hard work but then back on the PTN and Sulphur then bang, 2lb rainbow on the bank, Sulphur doing the box again.
Alas that was it, 5 hours 1 fish. Still better than working!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2018, 08:59 »
Over the IOW for my annual fishing fix... had some good fish this year off Yaverland beach... Dover Sole, largish pout, all within size, and undersize: Black Bream, Silver Eel and many Bass. Mind you, you're not allowed to keep Bass of any size now, as an angler

Then off Yarmouth Pier: Starry Hounds and Smooth Hounds, and Pollack within size, some undersized, plus some bass and a huge Undulate Ray (12-15lb by length measure) She went back too as endangered species. In fact, we never even pulled her onto the pier to save her being damaged: a fellow angler nips over the end gate and down the steps to the water to handline her in onto the bottom step and as she was neatly hook-lipped, was able to flick it out with long forceps. Boy was she strong!! Mostly all caught on squid, whole one for the ray... noticed some bait changes from other anglers at that point lol
Tides are better now for daytime fishing so off to the far end of Yaverland today, and maybe Sandown Pier in the day tomorrowLoved the moonrises this week... awesome
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:00 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

8doubles

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2018, 17:15 »
Over the IOW for my annual fishing fix... had some good fish this year off Yaverland beach... Dover Sole, largish pout, all within size, and undersize: Black Bream, Silver Eel and many Bass. Mind you, you're not allowed to keep Bass of any size now, as an angler

Then off Yarmouth Pier: Starry Hounds and Smooth Hounds, and Pollack within size, some undersized, plus some bass and a huge Undulate Ray (12-15lb by length measure) She went back too as endangered species. In fact, we never even pulled her onto the pier to save her being damaged: a fellow angler nips over the end gate and down the steps to the water to handline her in onto the bottom step and as she was neatly hook-lipped, was able to flick it out with long forceps. Boy was she strong!! Mostly all caught on squid, whole one for the ray... noticed some bait changes from other anglers at that point lol
Tides are better now for daytime fishing so off to the far end of Yaverland today, and maybe Sandown Pier in the day tomorrowLoved the moonrises this week... awesome
Sounds like a good trip,  the Undulates seem to be doing well off the south coast due to catch and release.
I think a few  Undies on Chesil will be given names like the Carp anglers do as they have been caught that many times ! :)
I believe the Bass ban has been lifted as of today (but have not seen a public notice) and the one fish per day limit is back .
Good news for the fish eating angler !
All we have to do know is land one ! :)
PS https://www.gov.uk/government/news/changes-to-recreational-bass-restrictions-from-1-october
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:50 by 8doubles »

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2018, 11:59 »
Forcast for yesterday (monday 15th) was overcast and little wind, hurrrahhh
Flask and butty made of I go to Barnsfold.
Arrived for 8am  to what looked like perfect conditions, set up floating line with a sink tip and a PTN on the tip and Sulphur nymph on the dropper.
3hours later and nothing  :( no one else had a bite either! Time for a brew and re-think, decided to loose the nympth's and try the ever faithful cats whisker, orange was the colour last year so thought lets try it now, firstcast and spals of the fly then line ripped off the reel, must of put it bang on its nose, rainbow of 2lbs,
Ended the day with a brace of 2lbers but lost 6  :mad:

Chattng at the end with Frank the owner and he was saying a lot of people last couple of weeks were saying the same with a lot of lost fish.

xx
Fishing Season 2020

Started by Aled on Chatting on the Plot

24 Replies
Last post October 28, 2020, 16:26
by Aled
xx
Fishing Season 2023

20 Replies
Last post October 19, 2023, 10:20
by Aled
xx
Fishing Season 2017

130 Replies
Last post December 31, 2017, 22:03
by Offwego
xx
Fishing Season 2021-22

12 Replies
Last post July 07, 2021, 10:20
by Aled

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 55 queries.