help for a sad lethargic hen

• 3 Replies

leebou

help for a sad lethargic hen
« on: June 12, 2009, 20:17 »
Hi all
Well i thought things were going well the girls have been laying for 6 weeks now and no problems.until now......This week i have noticed one on the girls is very lethargic always out last not really interested that much in her food(although she does eat) hangs her head in a slouchy sort of way and keeps a way from the others.I dont think shes laying either.Her feathers are in good condition as is her comb.Any ideas what this could be im quite worried for her what can i do.
Thanks for reading
Lee

elle

Re: help for a sad lethargic hen
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 22:13 »
hi, a few years ago i kept hens and i had one which showed the same signs as yours, very lethargic and she would go to lay but produce no eggs, i eventually realised that she was egg bound ( ie still making the eggs but unable to lay them,) unfortunately by the time i discovered the problem it was too late to help her and she died. her body was extremely heavy as it was full of unlayed eggs. hopefully, if this is the problem with your hen you will have detected the problem early enough to help her, i'm sorry that i do not know the way to treat her but i'm sure that there will be some advise on line. good look with your hen. if you cant find a treatment you could try a warm water bath and gentle massage. hope this helps, regards elle.

elle

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 18:49 »
Hi Lee, please can you tell me how your poorly chicken is?  regards elle.

gcb

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 22:10 »
Could she have laid some soft shelled eggs? This knocks one of my girls off her stride for several days when she does this.
geoff

xx
Lethargic hen

Started by Tom Parrot on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 15, 2015, 15:34
by Tom Parrot
xx
Lethargic and sleepy hen

Started by Tom Parrot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2016, 09:51
by Tom Parrot
xx
Lethargic chicken

Started by robinson on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 20:03
by Spana
xx
Lethargic and sleepy hen (2)

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2016, 14:42
by grinling

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 38 queries.