Time to leave her chicks?

• 3 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Time to leave her chicks?
« on: August 11, 2011, 20:49 »
Patches' chicks hatched 6 1/2weeks ago and she's been a very good mum to them.

Earlier this week she started laying again and tonight, after calling the chicks back to their run, she left & made her way over to the main house with all the other girls. I had to separate her from the others & take her back to the nursery but now she's strutting up & down the run calling the others.

Is it time for her to go back to be with the others (they free range together during the day)? Also, I've been putting Epic in with the girls at night but he lets me know every morning that he's not happy with the situation. I've been looking out for a cheap house & run for him but wonder whether it would be an idea to put him in with the chicks if Patches goes back to the flock. He's nearly 14 weeks now.

bantam novice

Re: Time to leave her chicks?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 21:33 »
It sounds as if Patches is telling you that she wants out now, particularly if she is starting to lay again.  The chicks should be fine now without her.

Epic may well do better with the chicks.  He may have been bullied by the girls.  On  the other hand if he is starting to settle with the girls and is about  their size he will gradually be establishing his place in the pecking order.  My little cockerel complained at first about being in the big coop but he is now head honcho as he as grown larger than all the girls.  This took about two weeks to work through.

Good luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 23:12 »
Patches is more than happy to be back with the girls!

The chicks, on the other hand, aren't quite as impressed with their new house mate as Epic is twice their young age and, now that he's not the smallest, is beginning to assert himself.....   :blink:

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:57 »
I wouldn't keep the cockerel with such young chicks there will be too much age and size difference.

A mother hen will usually in a flock situation abandon feeding her chicks and even drive them away if they try to follow her after 5 or 6 weeks, by which time they will be able to fend for themselves.

HF
Truth through science.

xx
Can you leave the chicks??

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 00:05
by jack russell
xx
How old do chicks have to be to leave mum for good?

Started by ness on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 12:09
by ness
xx
When does a mother hen leave her chicks???

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 17:30
by Tazzy
xx
How old can a mother leave her chicks?

Started by megkaya on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 12:12
by megkaya

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.