asparagus temptation.

• 12 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
asparagus temptation.
« on: April 03, 2012, 19:51 »
this is my asparagus in its second season from one year old crowns and there romping away and look pretty good.the temptation to pick some is gnawing away at me.im sure i read in a book that i could take a couple of spears from each plant.do you think i could or would this affect the crop for next season.? :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: asparagus temptation.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 20:04 »
Anyone who claims to have actually resisted the temptation to at least sample a spear or two is either not 100% truthful or needs to go to gardener's relaxation classes - it depends to some extent on variety and growing conditions (although belatedly finding out that you have eaten the last spear the plant has the strength left to produce that year is not a good plan!)  :nowink:

Have a nibble!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mattwragg94

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 20:10 »
ooh i was just researching this for you (looking at old threads) but jay beat me to it, anyway from what ive read on previous posts you can harvest 1-2 spears per plant in the second year.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 20:16 »
ooh i was just researching this for you (looking at old threads) but jay beat me to it, anyway from what ive read on previous posts you can harvest 1-2 spears per plant in the second year.
sluurrp!. :lol:

mattwragg94

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 20:23 »
yep lucky you hahaha - thats it the next time im at the shops im buying some.

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 23:35 »
Hoping to get some from mine this year .... sown from seed three years ago, planted out from pots last year.... just starting to show now.....

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 00:01 »
I planted seed a few months ago and now have them in the GH... I'll plant out when the early spuds are out..   

Here is a fab recipe.... simmer for 10-15 minutes then blitz in the liquidizer for a few secs with butter to make a lovely thick sludge... add on top of hot toast or freshly baked buns or slurp onto steak.. delicious..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 00:11 »
A betteralternative to restricting yourself to 2 spears per plant is to restrict picking to 3 weeks from when the first one appears. In that way you do not have to keep count or mark where you have picked.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 08:57 »
i been bought an asparagus knife for my birthday.its about 15" long with a serrated tip at the end.ive read that you have to cut about 4" below the surface of the soil.this to me seems a bit worrying wont the knife go into the heart of the root system and damage it.? :unsure:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 09:02 »
4" is way too low, I've never seen this recommendation. About 1" down is the norm.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:03 »
Sounds unnecessarily long for an asparagus knife!

The most important thing is not to damage the crown when you cut the spears, which obviously depends on how deep the crowns are beneath the surface.

Cutting at or just below the surface should be safe, deeper is OK only if you know exactly how deep your crowns are.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 11:24 »
i been bought an asparagus knife for my birthday.its about 15" long with a serrated tip at the end.ive read that you have to cut about 4" below the surface of the soil.this to me seems a bit worrying wont the knife go into the heart of the root system and damage it.? :unsure:

It sounds as if you have a commercial growers knife.
When picking a field of asparagus you don't want to be bending over with a small knife at each plant.
I cut about an 1in below but push my finger into the soil first to be sure I don't damage any that have not yet shown.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 12:03 »
On the farm when growing up in Zimbabwe we grew loads for the local market and on my own plot in latter years I had a patch about 20mt x 20 mt.. I never had a knife... just snapped them off at ground level so the whole spear was green and not incipidly white from below the soil level..    you gotta eat them green...

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus

Started by kingston boy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 13:02
by harry

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 40 queries.