Couch grass in raspberries...

• 10 Replies

Growster...

Couch grass in raspberries...
« on: April 27, 2017, 06:58 »
I'm sure we've covered this somewhere before, but as it's a perennial question, here it is again...

We planted two rows of 'Joan J' and 'Glen Ample' three years ago, and as we garden from grass paths either side, the couch has got well into the roots.

I'm sure I heard years ago, that during the dormant season, it doesn't hurt the hardened rasp canes to squirt some glyphosate around the base of each plant to kill off the couch.

Rasps have such shallow roots, that conventional weeding probably hurts the plant more than the couch, so the quandary remains...

Any views anyone?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Couch grass in raspberries...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 07:55 »
I'm sure we've covered this somewhere before
A reprise to jog your memory... if it helps  :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=110046.msg1242087#msg1242087

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 08:07 »
I thought I'd mention a point raised on that earlier thread

Glyphosate will not be absorbed through brown/lignified/woody stumps. 

Interested in that bit as folk put Glyphosate on treestumps to stop them sprouting.  Perhaps such (i.e. "still active") treestumps would now be described as "brown/lignified/woody" though?

I sprayed couch grass growing beneath an old rose, this winter, it seemed the only way to deal with  it as it was tangled through the rose roots. I normally spray into a bottomless bottle to contain the spray direction, but for some reason didn't think it was necessary near the woody rose branches.
The result: only a few small twisted/deformed leaves have grown this spring - I've managed to kill the rose as well as the couch  :( 
Roses and raspberries are in the same plant family so be warned.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 08:38 »
Perhaps you could spray the just ends of the row and see what happens?
This could stop the couch from growing into the raspberries and the raspberries from growing into the grass path.

Luiska

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 09:27 »
I inherited a small bed of autumn raspberries on my new plot which a neighbour said produced very good berries. It was absolutely choked with couch - and raspberry runners had popped up all over the place. Like a lot of others talking about this issue, I bit the bullet, dug everything up, soaked the roots in water for a bit and stripped out the weeds. Then dug deep, added compost (my predecessor left a good full bin) and replanted everything. I lost one sucker but everything else is coming along - a bit slower than the rest of the plot, but that's to be expected. I didn't do it until late March. (see before and after pics below)
WP_20170205_13_29_37_Pro (2).jpg
WP_20170331_18_38_48_Pro (2).jpg
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 16:54 by Luiska »

Plumby

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 09:44 »
I have the same problem with a row of about a dozen rasps. This year I have tried suffocating the * by covering the base of the rasps with 4-5 inch of grass clippings.  The rasps are up so my thinking is they will be ok but anything emerging is going to struggle.

Plus (non-fed) grass clippings = nitrogen for the rasps.

al78

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 12:48 »
We've had this problem on the community allotment, along with the desire not to use chemical weedkillers. This year I covered the fruit beds with decent weed suppressant, cutting slots to fit it around raspberries and bushes. It seems to be largely working, there are a few tufts of couch coming up where the slots are but nothing major. I have in the past dug up bushes in the dormant season and dug out as much of the couch as I could. Wrong time of year to do this now I think.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 17:45 »
Thank you all for these replies - especially you Mum, as I'd totally forgotten that I asked this same question four years ago!

Back then, the rasps were an old lot, and we eventually chucked them - hence the two new beds!

I rather like the idea of digging them all out after the crop this year, cleaning them up and starting again, as I'll have the time and hopefully the energy...

But never fear; I'll probably ask the same question in a few years time, so will link this now on a favourite in my box!

I did in fact search the site for answers, but it didn't crop up!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 17:47 »
Perhaps you could spray the just ends of the row and see what happens?
This could stop the couch from growing into the raspberries and the raspberries from growing into the grass path.

I'll be doing that, Azubah - there is a 'hard shoulder' between the bed and the path, but the rasps themselves have got themselves all knotted up now!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:28 by Growster... »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 17:58 »
..especially you Mum, as I'd totally forgotten that I asked this same question four years ago

I'm happy, I've proved my memory isn't as bad as I thought it was  :lol: :lol:

victoria park

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 18:23 »
Having noticed over the years that the new Autumn raspberry shoots often out perform the parent "crowns", I occasionally take to a problem area in Winter and hoik the roots out of the ground and give them a good clean up and a haircut. Then dig over before I put them back, or not. A sort of rigorous underground pruning in a sense.  Fortunately, raspberries are like weeds on my plot. I love them and they go in everything from June to December
I have given up on grass paths around beds as the couch smiles while it's plotting and setting sail out of sight.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 18:25 by victoria park »

xx
couch and grass in raspberries

Started by Lottiegob on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 08:05
by Lottiegob
xx
Clearing couch grass in raspberries...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post October 02, 2013, 20:40
by gobs
xx
Couch Grass

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 30, 2019, 18:02
by rowlandwells
xx
Couch Grass

Started by mjg000 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 12:19
by moose

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 40 queries.