Sweet Potato Time - 2014

• 55 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Sweet Potato Time - 2014
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 18:38 »
Some people have had trouble getting them to sprout which may be due to them having been treated with chemicals - soaking them overnight in a bucket of cold water may help (no way of knowing whether mine would have sprouted without doing that, but they were pretty quick out of the blocks and at worst it won't do any harm.  ;))

Now that is a brilliant idea  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 20:51 »
I know that a number of my tubers haven't sprouted due to growth-stop sprays applied to them, but sometimes you get lucky and find one that's lightly sprayed and will sprout.

To ensure results, sprout about 3 tubers because 2 will likely be duds   ;) Last year I had to throw away one of my tubers because it just rotted away with no roots or slips. The other toed the line and produced slips.

How the tuber sits in the water doesn't really matter. But you do need a portion of it to be above water at all times so the sprouts/slips can appear eventually.

The plastic lean-to idea sounds ideal because sweet potatoes are slow growers and do need a long period of heat and protection.

3759allen

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 09:12 »
i've persisted with my original 2 sweet potatoes, seems my concern about rot was unfounded. they've got lots of roots now that look healthy.

how long should it take to start producing slips? the first 2 have been in water for a month now, plenty of healthy roots but no slips.

i'm using BFB in the water as a feed to try and make sure they have enough energy to sprout, i'm assuming this is ok.

also trying a couple of white sweet potatoes to see what they're like to grow. will report results if i get any.

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 15:43 »
Due to zip issues my SP's were few and far between last year and very small too. I accidentally ripped the mini poly tunnel zip and no matter what I tried I couldn't seem to keep any warmth in the tunnel. I did however rescue 3 of the plants and potted them up inside. I trimmed them back a bit and put them on a windowsill, so far they are still alive so I'm hoping this will be my source of slops this time round. Don't know if it will work, and I'll have to invest in a better cover for the mini tunnel, but SPs are one of my absolute favourites so worth a try!

Trillium

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 19:39 »
SP's can be a long term plant, and what you've done should keep them through until next growing season. A good cloche or even 'warm' cold frame will do nicely for UK growers.

3759allen

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 16:26 »
i'm still getting pretty poor sprouting results.

i've been putting the SP's on the mantle piece so it's warm enough for them to sprout and root. i am now however wondering if this may be too warm? i've tried on the window sills of the front room and kitchen to try different temperatures but still no great results. any one got any ideas?

i have got one potato to produce 2 slips. how big do the slips have to be before you remove and plant?

also anyone prefer putting slips in water over compost (or visa versa) to root. now i've managed to get slips i'd hate to loose them after all the effort.

thanks.

Trillium

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 15:31 »
The sprouted slips can be any size before you twist them off at the base and pot them up. Once they're potted up, they just need minimal water to keep them going. Once potted up they can take a while to get going so if you have a warm place for them now you can start that job.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 16:35 »
I haz roots! Wooo-hooo!  :lol:

now for some shoots  ::)

Trillium

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 20:02 »
Great start !!!!!  8)

easyonthebrain

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 08:54 »
I bought two fairly good sized tubers from a supermarket and fresh to the store yesterday. I have been trying to buy some for about a week or so but the produce they as in most of the supermarkets has been pretty poor looking. Do you need to add anything to the water and how often or do you have to change the water or just add more to it.

Trillium

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 01:40 »
You don't need to add anything to the water but non-chlorinated water is much better. Because my house has central heat, I find most of the water evaporates so I must top it up regularly. Otherwise, I'd just toss out the old water about every 2 weeks and replace with fresh. Keep the container in a sunny, non-drafty window.

easyonthebrain

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 09:02 »
Thanks Trillium, I will replace the water tonight with spring water and hopefully that will help. Regards Eric  :D

marispiper

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 16:54 »
I fancy trying this, am I too late to start? Seeing as some of you started back in December.

Snoop

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 19:50 »
I keep meaning to do this and last year nearly did, till I checked out storing them. I know this is jumping the gun, Trillium, but what is the best way to store sweet potatoes or prepare them for storage?

I can give them plenty of heat over the summer, but where I live the climate is very dry rather than humid. I can water while growing, but can't give them humid conditions while they 'cure' (if that's the right word).

Trillium

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 03:12 »
Marispiper, start your sweet potato as soon as possible, keep it in a warm place and with luck it might sprout very soon. You can only try and keep fingers crossed.

Snoop, sweet potatoes are cured right after digging up so that any wounds can heal, the skin thickens for storage, and most importantly, starches turn to sugar. Spain will be the ideal place for them.
Here's the curing and storage instructions from the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission. The humidity levels might be difficult to maintain, but I'm sure you'll be creative.

Curing should be started within 1 to 2 hours of harvest and continued for 4 to 7 days at 80 to 85 degrees and 90 to 95 % relative humidity with ample ventilation for about 5 days. Rooms with 100 % relative humidity should be avoided so that the surface of the sweet potatoes will not be completely wet, resulting in more disease. Earlier in the season, when the soil and air temperatures are higher, the roots will cure in a shorter time than later in the season when the roots start out cooler. Sweet potatoes are normally stored in bulk containers that hold from 20 to 60 bushels.

Storage temperatures are very important. Long-term storage areas should be maintained at 55 to 60 degrees with 85 % relative humidity and with sufficient venting to produce a total volume change of air at least once a day. Above 60 degrees, internal breakdown, shrinking and sprouting can occur. Temperatures below 55 degrees may cause hardcore, a disorder where a whitish, hard area appears in the cooked sweet potato. Properly cured and stored sweet potatoes can be held up to 12 months with little reduction in quality. Shrinkage occurs at 1 to 2 % per month if cured, 2 to 5 % if uncured. In some cultivars, pithiness also increases with length of storage.

Citation for above copied text: 
http://www.ncsweetpotatoes.com/sweet-potato-industry/growing-sweet-potatoes-in-north-carolina/curing-and-storing/

EDITED by Admin.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 14:40 by Aunt Sally »

xx
Sweet Potato Time - 2013

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

250 Replies
Last post November 26, 2013, 15:29
by Trillium
xx
sweet potato

Started by mister rotavator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2012, 16:28
by Trillium
clip
sweet potato

Started by chumpy7 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2021, 13:17
by chumpy7
xx
SWEET POTATO

Started by Hooee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 20:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 39 queries.