redcurrants or lack of?

• 1 Replies

LILLILEAF

redcurrants or lack of?
« on: June 20, 2017, 05:41 »
Last year i bought 3 redcurrant plants,i have planted them in the fruit cage,the ground has been dug over well has olny grown weeds till we cleared it.
So of my 3 bushes why do i only have 4 redcurrants on 1 bush,am i missing some thing?.
There are blueberry bushes near by of which again only 1 has fruit,new plant this year.

spadework

Re: redcurrants or lack of?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 06:02 »
Redcurrants fruit on older wood so they should begin to crop next year. Likewise your blueberries, they just need time to establish. This is why redcurrants are spur pruned, cutting out all the new growth down to one inch stubs inducing the plant to produce fruiting spurs. Growths you want to retain to extend the bush can be pruned by two thirds.

When I first took on my plot the top growth on the existing redcurrant bush was dead. It has taken a couple of seasons to grow back from the base and I expect a crop next season.

I too bought a redcurrant bush from a reputable supplier that I thought looked mature enough to bear fruit but nothing this year although next year it should bear fruit. It's the same story with a chandler blueberry I planted at the same time, a small bunch of blueberries this year and many more next. :nowink:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:03 by spadework »

xx
Redcurrants

Started by Abhaya on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 23:41
by Trillium
xx
Think I have Redcurrants.

Started by Digger Tom on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 12:34
by Dilly Dom
xx
Redcurrants

Started by threepennies on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 14, 2006, 23:11
by Oliver
xx
redcurrants

Started by bravemurphy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 00:10
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 38 queries.