Feeding Cucumbers to Stop Leaves Turning Yellow

• 13 Replies

Markjp

Feeding Cucumbers to Stop Leaves Turning Yellow
« on: August 07, 2012, 21:22 »
Every year I have same problem with my greenhouse cucumbers. After an initial vigorous start with some good crop of cucumbers the plants leaves gradually turn lighter and lighter green, eventually going yellow.

My feeding regime has been to use tomato feed once a week (my cucumbers are in the greenhouse border)

My question is what should I bee using and how frequently to  keep the plants healthly throughout the season?

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Feeding Cucumbers to Stop Leaves Turning Yellow
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 21:33 »
A photo would help to narrow down what the problem is.  Are the leaves yellow all over or mottled?
Cheese makes everything better.

Markjp

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 21:39 »
A photo would help to narrow down what the problem is.  Are the leaves yellow all over or mottled?

There not yellow yet, more a lime green at the moment. Its an all over colour throughout the plant. I assume its some kind of deficiency.

What's your feeding regime for cucumbers "Ice"?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 21:58 »

My feeding regime for cucumbers is heavy doses of antidepressants as they seem prone to commiting suicide very early on. :lol:

Have a google for verticillium wilt and see if it fits the bill. :)

Markjp

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 22:34 »

My feeding regime for cucumbers is heavy doses of antidepressants as they seem prone to commiting suicide very early on. :lol:

Have a google for verticillium wilt and see if it fits the bill. :)

Have googled verticillium wilt and don't think its that as the plant isn't wilting

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:57 »
I feed the cukes at every other watering. Try it and see if they improve.

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39 »
It is important to make sure that you do not get any water on the cucumbers - that can make them curl up and die - so water the soil or compost and not the leaves or stem of the plant. Another problem can be too dry an atmosphere - that can cause the leaves to yellow and go all crispy - with the damp and dull weather this year it has not been such a problem but it can be helped by putting containers of water next to your cukes.

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:40 »

The way my cucumbers make me feel sometimes it is me who needs the happy pills and not them.  ::) ::) :lol: :lol:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 20:45 »
I've tried cucumbers again this year - haven't bothered for the last 2 because they always seem to die.
They're outdoor cukes, but i'm tring them inside. I have the same old browning of the leaves problem I've had the last time I tried to grow them (as though the leaves are burning) despite shade and I have lots of little cucumbers that aren't getting any bigger! Any ideas?? More feed perhaps?

markjp - Yellowing leaves often indicate a deficiency - you can give epsom salts to yellowing raspberry canes (I think thats a magnesium deficiency) or you can get liquid seeweed feeds with added iron - don't know if that might help you.

stickles123

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 17:27 »
My cucumber leaves have turned yellow and after an initial burst of cucumbers I now notice that the cucumbers that are forming are wilting and fading to yellow. First time I've grown them so not sure what is wrong, but will definitely google the above link. Thanks!

Markjp

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 22:30 »
I feed the cukes at every other watering. Try it and see if they improve.

As suggested am now feeding at every other watering, which is every other day at the moment. Leaves seems to be greening up, so I think it's doing the trick

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 11:47 »
I read an article by Medwyn Williams last year about feeding cukes, he said that they often run out of steam when fed purely on tomato feed and a teaspoon of dried blood per week around each plant and watered in is much better.

I have done this for last year and this and my cukes are still really healthy and producing many more fruit than i can eat(mini munch)

A 5kilo bag of dried blood meal from Scats is about £8 i think and lasts forever, but my god it stinks!
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Markjp

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 12:33 »
I read an article by Medwyn Williams last year about feeding cukes, he said that they often run out of steam when fed purely on tomato feed and a teaspoon of dried blood per week around each plant and watered in is much better.

I have done this for last year and this and my cukes are still really healthy and producing many more fruit than i can eat(mini munch)

A 5kilo bag of dried blood meal from Scats is about £8 i think and lasts forever, but my god it stinks!

Do you still feed with tomato feed as well as the weekly dose of dried blood?

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 12:46 »
I feed them once a week with the dried blood and once a month with tomato feed as well.

But theyre grown in ring culture pots on top of gravel trays which have a cuke and a tom in each tray so they probably benefit from some of the toms weekly feed seeping down into the gravel too.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 40 queries.