Building Beds to plant my vegetables

• 3 Replies

campbeji

Building Beds to plant my vegetables
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:41 »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but here goes.

I have a space available to grow some vegetables, about 20ft by 4ft give or take, problem is it is all concrete with no real way to remove it.  So I'm thinking of building some large raised beds out of wood.  They will sit a few inches off the ground and be filled with compost.  The problem I have is what type of compost should I use?

I have just read John Harrisons book 'Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Growing in small spaces' and although it is an excelent wee book the thing I would have liked to see is a quick referance to the type of conditions various vegetables prefer, ie soil type, watering, spacing, feeding etc.

When I build the beds I will be making them in individual sections, probably 4ft by 4ft depending on the timber I can get.  I really just want to know what I can plant together so that I don't have to make it all complicated for myself  :)

If anyone has any ideas or tips I'd appreciate it, but please remember I am new to this grow your own thing.

Thanks
Jim

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Building Beds to plant my vegetables
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:36 »
if you click on Growing Help above, Look in Allotment Articles at Planning the Plot and you should find almost everyhting you need to know to answer your question, campbeji

Couple of other tips:

add your whereabouts to your profile so it shows with every post you make, as then answers will be better matched to your area.

go over into Welcome and introduce yourself, so you get to know a few people on here and you will get a very friendly response  :D :D

Hope all that helps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

bigben

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:43 »
The size of space you have will take some filling! Have you thought about where you can get that amount of material from? If there is anywhere near you that can deliver free or cheap manure that would be a decent start depending on what you plan to put in the beds - not carrots. Good luck.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 17:37 »
hi I would first do the sums to see if it will pay if you have to start to buy in materials , ask around I did a deal with the local garden center I took two pallets of very dead smelly turf away for a pound (Just to show it was not waste ) this I restacked face to face with a lot of cardboard to give a nice loam for my beds . you my be able to get the council to deliver a few cu meters of compost but it wont be organic ! carrots will fork in rich soil so I tend to grow them in old water tanks with sived garden soil and a bit of sharp sand
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

xx
Building Raised Beds

Started by Steven Dent on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 19:04
by Yorkie
xx
Building raised beds

Started by miajoe on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post December 01, 2009, 14:43
by aelf
xx
building a raised bed

Started by rowlandwells on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 05:52
by Sideshoot
xx
Building own polytunnel

Started by Longshanks on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2017, 11:58
by Miamivice

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 35 queries.